Sourced by gobroomecounty.com Karen Beebe

Incumbent Karen Beebe is the Democratic candidate for Broome County’s 12th district in the Broome County Legislature. Beebe was elected to the Broome County Legislature in 2020. Beebe got her bachelor’s in biology from Saint Michael’s College and a post-baccalaureate certification in Medical Laboratory Science from the University of Vermont. Beebe is a member of the Health & Human Services Committee and the Personnel Committee, and is currently a medical technologist with United Health Services (UHS).

What are the biggest concerns you have with your district and how do you plan to approach them?

“First, it is important for me to note that the concerns within my district come from the residents, not me. I listen to their frustrations with government, their worries about affordability, their fears for the livability of their homes in flood zones and I get to work. When parents came to me with concerns about their children’s mental health after tumultuous years of pandemic schooling, I brought those concerns to the [Broome] County Executive and we worked hard to find funding for all our school districts for mental health support for students. I have the ability to work within my own caucus and across the aisle to turn community concerns into direct action and policy.”

How do you plan to engage with members of your community and address some of their concerns? More specifically, how do you plan to do this for Binghamton University students?

“Over the last four years, I have actively engaged members of my community right where they live — knocking on doors, attending their events, supporting their kids. I hear the real worries they all experience. As it currently exists, my district does not include a significant population of students, but with BU’s Johnson City expansion, their impact is felt throughout the village. I proudly represent a diverse district-working families, retirees, veterans and some students. My top priority is to always fight for my constituents and give them a seat at the table.”

What do you believe has the highest priority when allocating funds from the county budget?

“County government provides an incredible number of services that impact residents more than they realize. From infrastructure to flood mitigation, from social services to veterans services, from LUMA to the Binghamton Bulldogs, Broome County funds are allocated to a wide variety of needs in our community. It is incredibly important we continue to provide these services to the best of our ability. To do that, we need to make sure our employees are paid fairly and at a level comparable with other public service roles. My priority is to serve the residents of my district and Broome County. Our staff is one of the most critical investments in those services.”

Many students and community members are concerned about the increasing prices of housing in the area as well as many reported infractions made by landlords. How do you plan to address this?

“This is a huge issue in Broome County and across the state. The solution needs to be as complex as the problem. In addition to investing in expanding the available and affordable units in Broome County, we need to work across all the towns and villages to ensure landlords are properly managing their properties and tenant relationships. Broome County Planning accessed grant funds to expand tenant rights education and access to representation in housing court — we need more of this. It benefits tenants and good landlords for everyone to know and follow the laws. Binghamton University should also be more active in this issue. Students are a significant asset to our community, but the expansion of landlords illegally refusing to rent to individuals and families because they can scam students into paying per bedroom has contributed to the staggering increase in local housing prices. This negatively impacts students as well, and it’s important for us all to work together to push for more investment, better regulations and quality housing for all.”

What do you offer the students and youth of Broome County and why should they vote for you?

“I have worked alongside students and young people in Broome to fight for issues that matter to all of us — reproductive rights, women’s equality, climate change, housing justice and more. Some of these issues are not directly legislated by county government, but it’s so critical to use the role I’ve been given to advocate for them. Students and young people are not just the future of this country, they are the present. I hope I have earned their vote by uplifting them in my advocacy and representing their needs as a county legislator.”

Editor’s Note (11/2/2022): A previous version of this article stated that Karen Beebe was appointed to the Broome County Legislature in 2020. Beebe was elected to the position. Pipe Dream regrets the error.