Kevin Paredes/Photography Editor Police sit outside 23 Oak St. in the City of Binghamton's West Side on Friday evening.

Update: March 11, 2018
Orlando Tercero named as suspect in Haley Anderson homicide

Orlando Tercero, the suspect in the death of Binghamton University student Haley Anderson, has fled to Nicaragua, the Binghamton Police Department has said.

Tercero, a student majoring in nursing at Binghamton University, is suspected of killing Anderson, 22, and fleeing on an international flight.

Tercero was romantically involved with Anderson, and left the United States before her body was discovered on Friday, according to police. He is a U.S. citizen.

Anderson, a senior majoring in nursing from Westbury, New York, was found dead at 12:53 p.m. on Friday after police responded to a welfare check at 23 Oak St., a student residence on Binghamton’s West Side. Anderson did not reside in the house.

Her death was officially declared a homicide following an autopsy, which was performed on March 10 at Lourdes Hospital in Binghamton.

“This incident and the circumstances of the death was not a random act or involving the conduct of a stranger,” the statement read. “The victim and male student had a previous domestic/romantic relationship. The investigation determined that the person of interest had left the United States by an international air travel flight, prior to the discovery of Haley Anderson’s deceased body.”

The investigation is being conducted by the Binghamton Police Detective Division and assisted by BU’s New York State University Police, the Broome County District Attorney’s Office, the Federal Bureau of Investigation – Binghamton, New York/New Jersey H.I.D.T.A. Program Resources, the Port Authority Police Department of New York and New Jersey and the Nassau County Police Department.

Classes have been canceled for senior nursing students on Monday, and counseling services will be available.

University officials expressed their condolences to Anderson’s friends and family in a B-Line news addition on Friday evening.

“The Binghamton University community is deeply saddened to learn of the death of senior nursing student Haley Anderson, whose death is being investigated by the Binghamton Police Department,” the news addition read. “During this challenging time, we are offering counseling services for those who wish assistance.”