Neil Seejoor/Contributing Photographer President Harvey Stenger sits on a mat during a yoga session in Appalachian Dining Hall. Over 30 students participated in this third annual RA event on Sunday, organized by the Mountainview College Council and Campus Recreation.

Binghamton University officials and faculty bent over backward to become more accessible to students at Mountainview’s Appalachian Dining Hall.

Over 30 students gathered on Sunday to stretch their limbs alongside President Harvey Stenger and other administrators like Mountainview Faculty Master Kevin Wright, Director of Residential Life Suzanne Howell and Chief Diversity Officer Valerie Hampton.

Mountainview resident assistants Alexandra Moehring, a junior double-majoring in English and human development; Sabrena Myers, a senior majoring in biology; and Colleen Kelly, a junior majoring in mechanical engineering organized the event with the Mountainview College Council and Campus Recreation. According to them, the main goal was to create a relaxed environment where students could connect with faculty to learn more about the different departments.

“We planned this event to be a networking experience with President Stenger and the other VIPs,” Kelly said. “You can sit down and relax with people so that it’s not as intimidating for students.”

Stenger said that the event offered students and faculty a chance to bond through a combined learning experience.

“It’s a little hard the first time,” Stenger said. “It’s a great thing to try out together.”

After the 30-minute yoga session, many students stayed to mingle with the president and other administrators to exchange information and build relationships. Hampton invited Judelca Rodriguez, a senior majoring in integrative neuroscience, to her office to talk about her post-graduation plans.

“I’m always interested in opportunities to meet students in a more relaxed environment,” Hampton said. “I can find out what the students are doing and they can find out a little bit about what my office does.”

The event has become a Mountainview tradition in the past three years. However, this is the first year that administrators besides Stenger were invited and the event was open to all faculty members.

“I first wanted to do belly dancing with the president, but he actually wanted something a bit more modest,” Myers said. “He asked me to send him a basic list of activities and he chose yoga.”

Bryce Farrell, a junior majoring in biology and a yoga instructor for Campus Rec, led the session.

“It was nice to put a name with a face, [since] you hear a lot about the president and how he’s involved with the University,” Farrell said. “It’s nice to have more of a personal relationship with somebody who’s involved in making a lot decisions that impact us students.”

Doug Mackay, a junior double-majoring in actuarial science and economics, said the event made the faculty and administrators seem more approachable.

“This event is great because it shows students that University officials have lives outside of just their jobs,” Mackay said. “When you see the president or one of your professors doing yoga and mingling with students, it gives students a better perspective.”