Jersson Torres/Contributing Photographer Pictured: sophomore setter Sarah Ngo

For four years, star setter Amanda Dettmann was a stalwart in the Binghamton volleyball lineup. Dettmann, a 2015 graduate, was one of the most prolific players in program history, starting 118 matches during her time as a Bearcat. Over the course of her career, she garnered an America East Co-Setter of the year award as a sophomore, delivered an AE tournament championship in 2012, and racked up 4,198 career assists — the third highest in program history.

With her graduation following the 2014 season, Binghamton was left with a huge void at the setter position. For the 2015 season, that void has since been filled by sophomore Sarah Ngo.

“This year, [Ngo] has done a lot for the team,” BU head coach Glenn Kiriyama said. “She’s the one that keeps the offense running and keeps all the hitters involved. She’s done a good job of orchestrating our whole offense. She’s continued to evolve.”

Ngo came to Binghamton from Franklin, Tennessee. As a freshman at Ravenwood High School, she captured a state championship before transferring to Centennial High School, where she was an all-district performer for three straight seasons. She chose to continue her career at Binghamton due to a variety of factors.

“I was looking at a lot of schools at the time and it was getting close to deciding time,” Ngo said. “[I chose Binghamton] because I wanted to compete at the DI level and also the academics here are really good.”

As a freshman, Ngo had difficulty finding playing time on the court behind Dettmann. She appeared in just 15 matches while competing in only 18 sets throughout the year. She compiled just 18 assists and nine digs on the season.

Ngo, however, gained valuable experience from watching and practicing with Dettmann.

“[Dettmann] helped me a lot,” Ngo said. “She was kind of like a role model for me last year. She helped me get acclimated to the practices and to Coach and how he acted in practices. She would help me with my technique.”

Following Dettmann’s graduation, Ngo ascended to the starting role and thrived immediately. In her first tournament as a starter — the Florida Atlantic Invitational, held August 28-29 — Ngo racked up 127 assists over four games en route to receiving all-tournament honors.

Ngo continued to shine following her impressive debut as a starter. Ngo has surpassed the 40 assist mark eight times so far this season, including dishing out 55 assists and recording 18 digs in BU’s five-set victory over Duquesne on September 11 and 49 assists and 20 digs in the Bearcats five-set defeat by UAlbany on September 25.

“It’s just really surprising to me actually,” Ngo said about her immediate success. “I just try my best every game and try my best in practice. I just have to thank my team and my coaches as well and thank God for the abilities he’s given me. It’s really just an honor.”

But her most impressive performance may have been last week. Ngo led the Bearcats back from a 2-1 deficit to defeat conference rival UMass Lowell in five sets. She tallied a career-high 61 assists and added 13 digs in the come-from-behind victory. For her performance, Ngo earned AE Setter of the Week honors.

“[Her play] has meant a lot,” Kiriyama said. “We’ve needed her to evolve. She continues to work hard and we’re hoping that she’ll lead everyone to see her example on the court and play harder.”

Ngo has not only been a key point of the Binghamton offense this season, but she has also become a vocal leader. Throughout games, she can be seen consistently talking to her teammates, giving them advice and celebrating top plays.

“It is just naturally my personality, I get really excited and really upset sometimes, but I try not to let the emotion dictate how I play,” Ngo said. “But, especially the excitement part, I think that the team does need it a lot because we thrive off of our energy.”

Ngo and the entire BU volleyball team faced Siena on Thursday night in a non-conference contest in the West Gym. Visit bupipedream.com for complete coverage.