Christopher Chin/Staff Photographer

A Binghamton University professor was recently placed on the International Biographical Centre’s list of “2000 Outstanding Intellectuals of the 21st Century.”

Gisela Brinker-Gabler, a professor of comparative literature, and the other notables chosen for the list were selected by how closely they bore resemblance to the meaning of intellectualism.

“The Oxford English Dictionary defines intellectualism as the ‘doctrine that knowledge is wholly or mainly derived from pure reason’ and it follows by saying that an intellectual is a ‘person possessing a good understanding, enlightened person,’” The Centre’s Web site said. “This statement has been uppermost in the minds of our editors since the first edition of the Outstanding Intellectuals series was published in 1978.”

She was notified about the decision in November, Brinker-Gabler said. The Centre asked if she’d consent to giving her biography in the published book among 2,000 other scholars.

“Her [Brinker-Gabler] research areas of transnational writing and the manner of writing in the local and global level reflect the intellectual discourse of the 21st century perfectly,” Annemarie Fischer, a student of Brinker-Gabler’s and a doctoral candidate in the department of comparative literature, said. “It is wonderful that her work is honored with this award.”

The book is in its sixth edition and costs $315.00.

Ingeborg Majer O’Sickey, associate professor and acting chair of the department of German and Russian studies, said she was tremendously pleased that Brinker-Gabler had received the honor.

“She is an inspiring scholar. Among her many other scholarly achievements, her publications put German women writers on the map, so to speak,” Majer O’Sickey said.

Brinker-Gabler has a long line of achievements that qualified her for the spotlight.

“From the beginning, I had a passion for education, literature and philosophy,” she said. “Even since childhood, I was a passionate reader.”

The professor’s accomplishments include writing 14 books on various German women poets, writers and philosophers. She is currently in the process of publishing her 15th book, “Lou Andreas-Salome’s Modern Thought,” and teaching graduate and undergraduate courses at BU.

Majer O’Sickey said she believes “[Brinker-Gabler] is a fine teacher who has guided numerous students in their quest for knowledge and toward successful careers in and outside the academy.”

According to Brinker-Gabler, her research, writing and teaching students how to improve their careers are most important to her. Brinker-Gabler said she believes that teaching has been a wonderful experience for her in the rich, multicultural atmosphere of BU.

“Professor Gisela Brinker-Gabler has been an inexhaustible resource of knowledge and expertise,” Fischer said. “She is always supportive of and encouraging with your research interests and academic projects.”

The International Biographical Centre also publishes other achievement style texts including: “2000 Outstanding Scientists of the 21st Century,” “The Cambridge Blue Book,” the “Dictionary of International Biography,” “Outstanding Scientists of the 21st Century” and the “World Who’s Who of Women.” Its Web site is internationalbiographicalcentre.com.