The Binghamton University men’s basketball team is set to hold open tryouts this week for all interested students.

Tryouts are scheduled for Tuesday at 2:30 p.m. in the Events Center and again on Wednesday at 7:30 p.m. in the West Gym.

According to Gail Glover, University spokeswoman, all students who plan to attend the tryouts should bring proof of having had a physical.

“So far, about 25 students have expressed an interest in trying out,” Glover said.

The decision to hold open tryouts came after the dismissal of six players from the team, including leading scorers from last year’s America East Conference championship roster.

D.J. Rivera, Malik Alvin, Corey Chandler, Paul Crosby and David Fine were released from the team on Friday, Sept. 25, just two days after Emanuel “Tiki” Mayben pleaded not guilty to charges of possessing and selling cocaine, and one day after he was permanently dismissed from the team.

During a press conference on Wednesday, Sept. 30, BU President Lois DeFleur announced four specific changes, the first being that athletic director Joel Thirer has resigned, effective immediately.

After announcing Thirer’s resignation, she said the second was appointing James Norris, senior associate athletic director, as interim athletic director. The third was her request to Kevin Broadus, the men’s basketball coach, for a “recruitment and supervision plan” for the basketball program.

Her last announcement was that the University will bring in an “external consultant” to audit the athletic program as a whole in order to ensure that BU follows America East and NCAA policies and procedures. Two days later SUNY Chancellor Nancy Zimpher announced that SUNY will oversee the audit.