Russia, a country gone rogue, has resorted to 19th-century imperialism in order to expand an already divided nation. The invasion of Ukraine has become an international ordeal, one filled with grief and emotion. Russian reprobates have returned to their promised land, with only a shrouded hope of reclaiming Crimea.

Vladimir Putin’s influence has been demonstrated to maintain a tight grip on the East and making sure that the United States is always around to watch. While the motives of his plan may be unseen, it would be ignorant not to expect the U.S. to be among his intended audience.

The “Putin Doctrine” carries dangerous implications, considering the timeliness of the invasion of Ukraine. Just after the 1936 Summer Olympics, held in Berlin, Adolf Hitler moved troops into Poland and finally staged a full invasion in 1939.

Ukrainian unrest is the product of a sort of revolution. The decision to join the European Union (EU) has brought a series of violent protests. As violence erupted, many eastern European extremist groups joined the party, gaining momentum and support from counterparts throughout Europe.

Whereas Putin may have stated homeland security as his primary objective, the decision to move solely into Crimea is not slightly innovative. When Ukraine was liberated from Russia, Crimea was the only territory vicariously debated.

While the current situation shares many characteristics of the old one, the situation is entirely new in that Russia has not tried annexing Crimea before. Now all they are showing to be is an overprotective parent who will not let go of their 45-year-old son. America, of course, is the psychiatrist who is allowing Russia to vent, while feeding and nurturing a rebellious, yet unstable middle-aged man.

Russian intervention must end. Detriment is inevitable. While the EU may present their own adversaries to the Ukrainian people, Putin must recognize the nature of 21st-century diplomacy. Perhaps in his days, the KGB deceit and drama may have been noble endeavors, but the Soviet Union has died, and so shall Putin’s despotic mechanisms.

Russia has truly gone rogue and should be treated as such. I am not advocating for pouring gasoline onto an already burning fire, but trust can no longer be part of negotiations. America must develop a plan and stick to it: a plan to end the Ukrainian violence, while appeasing Russia and allowing both nations to maintain some false sense of autonomy.

As the death toll rises, the Department of State must stand firm. Vladimir “Dracula” Putin is only seeking blood. We must act and seek appeasement as well as human concern.

Crimea remains part of Ukraine; therefore, the Russian soldiers should respect it as such. American military action would be no different from the Russian invasion. In the words of Teddy Roosevelt, “Speak softly, and carry a big stick.”