Robert Weslar is running as the Democratic candidate for the 13th district in the Broome County Legislature. Weslar was elected in 2018 and reelected in 2020, and was also selected as minority leader by colleagues in 2021.

What are the biggest concerns you have with your district and how do you plan to approach them?

“Safe affordable housing, urban blight [and] social and economic injustices. I continue to support the Broome County Land Bank and other such entities that redevelop blighted houses and return them to low to moderate homeownership/rental properties. By granting people the ability to acquire wealth, statuses and communities can be changed for the better from within.”

How do you plan to engage with members of your community and address some of their concerns? More specifically, how do you plan to do this for Binghamton University students?

“I live within my very student-centric district. I will gladly attend any forum to which I am invited. I’ve been on campus several times during my tenure as your legislator.”

What do you believe has the highest priority when allocating funds from the county budget?

“Where will these funds make the best difference? I live by the adage ‘Don’t be afraid to spend good money well.’ Among myriad priorities, community health, (mental and physical), safe affordable housing and growing our community are my top three.”

Many students and community members are concerned about the increasing prices of housing in the area as well as many reported infractions made by landlords. How do you plan to address this?

“Housing prices are too high. Landlords who violate the trust of the tenant need to be held accountable. I will continue to urge the City of Binghamton to keep diligent.”

What do you offer the students and youth of Broome County and why should they vote for you?

“I have been a city councilman and now a county legislator. I have built a strong reputation within the local government for trying to get the right things done. I live by my strong Democratic ideals and let them temper my path forward. I will always do my very best with the best information I have at my reach to serve and deliver.”