Kate Newcomb is the Democratic candidate for Broome County Sheriff. Newcomb is the current captain of the Law Enforcement Committee within the Broome County Sheriff’s Office, where she oversees detectives, road patrol, SWAT Team deployment and the office’s accreditation. Newcomb has over 30 years of experience working in law enforcement specifically within Broome County, and has held several other positions within the office.

What motivated you to run for this position?

“I have thought about running for the office of Broome County Sheriff for a number of years. I feel that I have the requisite experience, knowledge and vision to move the office forward in a meaningful direction. Now, more than ever, the office needs a leader who can navigate the change in police culture.”

How does your background and previous experience make you a good candidate for this position?

“I have served and protected the Broome County community for the past thirty years. My service has been continuous and uninterrupted. I have worked numerous positions and ranks within the Law Enforcement Division including patrol, first-line supervisor, second-line supervisor and as an administrator. I have worked large-scale, multi-agency investigations, both as an investigator and a supervisor. I, along with [Vestal Police Department] Captain Christopher Streno as my selection of Undersheriff, bring a combined total of 60+ years of experience.“

How do you plan to engage and communicate with your community?

“My administration will be transparent and accountable to the residents of Broome County. I will be available to answer all questions and provide updates on all matters. We will also continue to share information via social media platforms and releases to the local media.”

In data released by the Broome County Health Department it was shown that the rate of reported overdoses in 2022 was higher than 2021. As sheriff, would you plan to do anything to try and mitigate this or alter police response to these cases?

“Yes, we would work directly with [United Health Services] Peer Services to identify high risk populations and connect them to services. We will continue the Sheriff’s assisted recovery initiative by providing rides to any person ready to seek treatment. We will continue to work at combating the prolific drugs on our streets and drug dealers that supply illicit drugs to our community by supporting the Broome County Special Investigations Taskforce and their work at targeting drug dealers and methods used to funnel drugs to Broome County. [We will [c]ontinue to deliver the life-saving drug Narcan to persons who overdose by deputy sheriffs on patrol.”

Given the recent class action lawsuit against Broome County Sheriff David Harder, how would you plan to handle visitation rights for inmates and their loved ones?

“Face-to-face, in person contact with loved ones is paramount for an incarcerated person. Visitation time will be opened and safeguards will be in place to protect the health and safety of all persons in the facility against the spread of any virus.”

According to policescorecard.org the Broome County Sheriff’s department currently arrests Black citizens at a disproportionately higher rate compared to other ethnicities. What, if anything, would you plan to do about this?

“While our administration will be willing to look at the numbers to ensure policing is being properly administered, raw statistics do not indicate the root cause of arrests. We will advocate to promote procedural justice and implicit bias training to all law enforcement. Work with organizations to educate and promote dialogue between law enforcement and marginalized communities.”

Why should the students and youth of Broome County vote you into the position of sheriff?

“I have been committed to protecting and serving our community for over 30 years. I, as a woman, bring a different perspective to law enforcement and how deputies should interact with the community. Our country is experiencing a change of culture where police are concerned and the office needs someone who recognizes and understands the delicacy of the transition. Captain Streno and I do.”