Pro sports will always have its controversies, disputes and scandals. It’s entertainment, so naturally those things come with the territory.

But what if the real issues are not really coming from within the games? What if it isn’t about the teams and athletes? What if it is something a little closer to home? I’m talking about us: the spectators, the fans — the people who are being catered to. Here are a bunch of things that fans do that really rumble the world of sports.

Don’t hate your state:

Every person holds some pride for his or her own state. It is the place where we live, the place where we are brought up in, the place that we represent when we go anywhere else in the country.

And yet, when it comes to choosing team loyalty, we forget where we come from and decide to root for some other team in some state which we can’t even name the capital of. It’s understandable to admire another team for whatever reasons, whether they are the underdogs in the league or have the best defense in the conference, but when it comes time for us to watch our home team play, there should be no one else.

It’s really depressing to see born-and-brought-up New Yorkers root for the Red Sox or any other squad playing against the Yankees, or to see Ranger fans saying that they hope the Islanders lose every game they play in the next season.

I think nowadays there is some unwritten rule that if someone is a fan of one home team, then any other local team should be the arch nemesis. Whether a team is undefeated or has only one victory all season, there are no excuses for not cheering on your home team each and every step of the way. A true fan should stick with his team through the thick and thin, but a true man or woman should also always stick with his or her state.

Keeping your BAC lower than what it says on the scoreboard:

Anyone who has been to a game and sat next to the guy who is ordering his 12th beer in the second inning or halfway through the first quarter can attest to this. There is nothing worse than having a game interrupted by a stumbling, mumbling, possibly violent fan reeking of alcohol.

Don’t get me wrong, drinking beer at sports games has always been tradition, but it’s important to keep in mind that the families coming to see the games are part of the tradition as well. People abuse their rights when they begin to become a bother to others around them. Even if it is just a bunch of friends gathering to watch a contest at someone’s home, drinking should be enough so that you can still coherently watch the game and not cause any trouble.

Sit your @%$ down! It ain’t over ‘til it’s over:

It can be about anywhere from thirty seconds to five minutes before the end of the last half of the game and your team is down by 10, maybe even 20 points. People begin to shuffle about; parents tell their kids to gather their things; the fat guy, who was yelling and spitting at everyone on the court for last 50 minutes, curses and storms out; and you and your comrades look each other, do the universal nod for “It’s done, let’s get out of here,” and leave.

My friends, this goes against everything we have learned in Fandom 101: never leave your players stranded, whether they are down by 50 points or about to lose their 100th game in a row. Not only is it disrespectful to the team, it is a nuisance for everyone else in the crowd trying to watch the game. If you come to watch a game, it is common courtesy to watch the whole thing, even if the last inning or the last thirty seconds are absolutely excruciating. At least your team will be happy that its loyal fans are still by its side when things are down. Again, remember the saying: A true fan sticks with his team through the thick and thin.

Be You; Don’t be ESPN:

Have you ever had someone spit back the same exact thing you heard on “Jim Rome is Burning” the previous night? As devoted fans and avid spectators of the game we can create our own thoughts and predictions. We shouldn’t conform to or agree with another person’s thoughts or ideas just because he has his own time slot on MSG or the YES network. If we have the knowledge, let’s put that to use and form our own hypothesis and theories — it not only shows our love and spirit for the game, but it makes us stand out.

Conversely, make sure you have evidence to back up each opinion you present. Too many times have people talked out of their rear-ends about issues they know nothing about, and simply got others mad or insulted. Present your argument in the most convincing and efficient way possible. Sports may involve strength, valor and determination, but they also entail etiquette, something that should be reflected in our arguments.