We’ve all been through it. The emotions and stages of a breakup, whether it’s a serious relationship or not, can be similar to the stages of grief: denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance. Some stages last longer while others don’t come at all for some people. But, at the end of the day, we all get through it. In the meantime, here are some breakup songs for each stage and mood in the process, from “miss you” to “fuck you.”

“Atlantis” by Bridgit Mendler featuring Kaiydo

Bridgit Mendler has left her Disney Channel days behind and she shows it in “Atlantis.” This song is about the numbness one can feel when a relationship ends. You don’t love the person anymore, but you don’t hate or miss them either. There’s an emptiness left, but you aren’t sad exactly. It’s just there. Mendler equates this to her feelings are “asleep with the fishes down in Atlantis.” Atlantis is known as a beautiful city that was lost underwater and forgotten about. That’s similar to how one’s first breakup could feel — it was once beautiful, but now it’s just gone.

“From the Dining Table” by Harry Styles

Harry Styles’ debut album featured a lot of different emotions, but the heartbreak from this closer track takes the cake. The low-key catchy acoustic guitar riff that Harry sings to in a low register sets the song up so well. The best part, however, is the bridge, in which the strings swell up as Harry starts to passionately sing, “Maybe one day you’ll call me and tell me that you’re sorry too.” The song captures perfectly a lack of closure and profound loneliness that can stem from a breakup. “From the Dining Table” is Styles at his most painfully honest and gives us a chance to reflect on our own experiences, too.

“Alone” by Slayyyter

Hypothetically, you found out your partner is a cheating piece of trash and dumped their ass. Logically you know that you’ve dodged a bullet, but emotionally you’re still super attached to them. What you need right now isn’t a mopey, sopping wet song about yearning or the one who got away or whatever, but a song so egoistical it makes Paris Hilton looks humble. “Alone” by Slayyyter is exactly that: for two minutes and 42 seconds, you’re a queen bee looking down on your loser ex, and nothing can touch you or your Y2K plastic tiara.

“We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together (Taylor’s Version)” by Taylor Swift

Taylor Swift’s “We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together (Taylor’s Version)” may be a little on the nose with its lyrics, but that might be just perfect for a breakup song. Swift perfectly encapsulates the feeling of being glad that a relationship is over and knowing that there is closure. As opposed to the original version, Taylor’s new version feels much more free and happy, perhaps both representing newfound freedom after a breakup and her own liberty from a controlling recording studio. Overall, “We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together (Taylor’s Version)” manages to put a positive spin on the idea of a breakup and encourages the audience to look on the bright side.

“Baby Powder” by Jenevieve

R&B artist Jenevieve’s most popular song, “Baby Powder,” details first love and heartbreak on a smooth, dream-like track. The neo soul song samples the 1982 track “Last Summer Whisper” by Anri, giving a contemporary spin on a throwback piece and encapsulating the nostalgia of recounting one’s past romantic experiences. The lyrics show the singer grappling with her conflicting feelings as she sings, “You’re making me so high now / You’re everything I’d ever want / You’re keeping me so dry now / You’re everything I’d never want.” Overall, “Baby Powder” is the perfect song to listen to while reminiscing and captures the bittersweetness of romance and of breaking up.

“Dancing With Your Ghost” by Sasha Alex Sloan

“Dancing With Your Ghost” is a highly vulnerable and emotional lullaby about a breakup. The lyrics are simple, describing the singer’s daily actions, the stages of grief and the crushing emotional void she feels in her daily life. The song is highly melodic and despite its simple, almost childlike lyrics, it conveys a unique emotional rawness.

“Breaking Up Slowly” by Lana Del Rey and Nikki Lane

In my opinion, songs with simple lyrics make the best breakup songs, bringing out raw emotions and leaving the song interpretable and applicable to each listener’s own experience and life. Country singer Nikki Lane brings an almost folksy saloon singer vibe to the song. By avoiding any in-depth metaphors or complex images, Lana Del Rey and Nikki Lane make the vague gradual distancing of two lovers relatable to listeners. Oftentimes, breakups are a decision that you reach slowly and painfully. As the song progresses, the singers slowly solidify their decision to leave their significant others. The singers provide listeners hints and messages as to the abusiveness of their relationships with lyrics such as “George got arrested out on the lawn / We might be breaking up after this song” and “I don’t wanna end up like Tammy Wynette,” referencing the country star legend who was in several abusive relationships and ultimately died prematurely due to health problems.

“Sunshine” by Low

This song is a cover of “You Are My Sunshine,” the classic folk song and lullaby by Jimmie Davis and Charles Mitchell. This may be one of the bleakest and most heart-wrenching breakup songs. Focusing on the melancholy lyrics with a very simple and bleak bass strum in the background, Low sings, “The other night, dear / As I lay sleeping / I dreamt I held you in my arms / When I awoke, dear / I was mistaken / So I hung my head and cried.” They plead for their already-gone lover to come back, making it impossible not to shed a tear.

For more songs, check out this Spotify playlist! [hyperlink – https://open.spotify.com/playlist/3uhEMzFiQlusJfwN3KYIHK?si=1effdac1782d49c6]