Despite how much more tempting food looks after a long night of studying, it is important to make healthy choices when you do find yourself craving a snack. Snacking is often an obstacle to a healthy lifestyle, but it doesn’t have to be. Whether you want sweet, salty or spicy snacks, there are many healthy alternatives that can taste good without any lingering regret. Here are a few healthier munchies to choose instead of those mozzarella sticks calling your name.

SWEET

When some typically think of sweet nighttime snacks, sugary candies or ice cream comes to mind. Unfortunately for those eating mindfully, milkshakes are a rare treat, as it’s often hard to squeeze in that many calories late at night without upsetting your stomach or ruining your diet. An easy alternative to highly caloric milkshakes is yogurt topped with a small handful of your favorite candy, like M&M’s or Reese’s Pieces. This is a great go-to, because you can mix and match the yogurt and the chocolate with whatever topping you so choose.

Another option for a sweet late night snack is fruit with a dip. Apples with peanut butter, banana slices with Nutella, or strawberries with a little whipped cream. A peanut butter and jelly sandwich is a substantial snack, but also a good mix of fiber, protein and a little sweetness. Dried fruit is a healthy snack, especially if you do it yourself by slicing fruit thinly and drying it in your oven at low heat.

The key with any sugary snack is moderation. As long as you pair your sugary food with something healthier, you won’t miss the ice cream one bit.

SALTY

For some, a midnight snack is a barrel of cheese balls or a bag of chips. It’s difficult to find healthy and tasty things in this department when the choices are mostly fried. Instead of a snack from a bag, grab your favorite brand of unflavored popcorn and season it yourself at home, as there are many low-calorie popcorn options. Try it with your own sprinkling of salt and pepper or Parmesan cheese.

If popcorn isn’t your style, you can satisfy your salt craving with a plate of vegetables paired with a light dressing or hummus, or baked tortilla chips with salsa or mashed avocado. If you need a snack with minimal preparation, pickles are easy to just take out of the jar and eat. For something more substantial, cheese and crackers are an easy fix too. Deviled eggs are a great source of protein and easy to bring to the library with you.

SPICY

If you have a constant craving for spice, choosing a snack right before bed can be a challenge. The key is to ensure that it is spicy, but not so spicy that you have to eat a handful of Tums. An idea for a healthy, spicy snack is chicken salad with a dash of buffalo sauce; you’ll get the flavor of chicken wings without the regret from the fried version. Another healthy snack is a stuffed bell pepper. Mixing rice and leftover ground beef will give you fiber and protein, and the pepper will give you the perfect amount of spice.

In lieu of a cheesy and spicy snack like jalapeno poppers, try rolled up turkey with some hot sauce on top, or a small handful of pretzels with Sriracha honey mustard. Spicy sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds are also an easy snack to prep and eat before you head to bed.