During the 1979 Iranian hostage crisis, six Americans escaped from the United States embassy. They took asylum in the Canadian embassy, as they had no way to return to America safely. So, how does the United States government get them home? By pretending that the six Americans were a Canadian film crew scouting out locations, of course. A tale so crazy that it probably wouldn’t have worked as a movie unless it was true. Thus, based on a true story, “Argo” was produced.

The film, directed by Ben Affleck, opens with actual footage from 1979, just as Iranian protesters are about to overrun the U.S. Embassy. After burning American flags and creating a large revolt, the protesters jump the fences and break into the embassy, taking all those inside hostage. Six Americans are able to make their way out before the takeover and quickly get to the Canadian embassy. Back in America, the CIA is looking for ways to extract the six out of the country. They realize that if they were caught in an airport, they would be killed immediately. Therefore, ideas such as bicycling out of the country are offered up, only for them to realize the impracticality of such plans. Then, Tony Mendez, a CIA officer played by Ben Affleck, comes up with the idea for the six stranded Americans to pose as a Canadian film crew who are looking for a Middle Eastern backdrop on which to shoot a science fiction movie titled “Argo.”

This seemingly one-note film offers a lot more than one would think. Obviously a thriller, “Argo” keeps you on the edge of your seat from start to finish. The mixture of terror in the streets of Iran and the constant claustrophobia felt by the six Americans not allowed to leave the Canadian embassy creates a tense tone. There is a constant sense of fear and not knowing what is going to happen next. Yet Affleck masterfully adds comic relief to the story as well. This all comes from Tony Mendez’s time in Hollywood. While in Hollywood, Mendez is looking for a script, a producer and a way to promote the film in order to to make it seem real enough to pass by the Iranians. There, he encounters makeup artist and old friend John Chambers (played by John Goodman), who did the makeup for “Planet of the Apes.” He next goes to experienced producer, Lester Siegel (Alan Arkin), who will help create this fake movie. While going back and forth between Hollywood and Iran, Affleck is able to juxtapose the two worlds through color and style. The Hollywood scenes are bright and lighthearted, while the scenes taking place in Iran utilize earth tone colors, small sets and dim lighting.

This film was excellent through and through. Affleck’s directing as well as the performances by the well-rounded, talented cast were understated, yet purposeful. In order to showcase the actual story, there were no real scenes of grandeur or emotional heartbreak from the actors. However, at the same time, the restrained performances worked and felt extremely real. In fact, aside from Tate Donovan, unknown actors play the six Americans. This adds to the sense of anonymity, as well as making them seem like real people stuck in this situation. While simplicity is hard to sell to modern audiences, the story is truly what matters most in this film, so it works well. It would have been wrong to take away from the plot derived from Mendez’s book, “The Master of Disguise.” Affleck also does a fantastic job of recreating the events as they took place. The audience sees real footage mixed with the film footage, as well as images of events which were remade in the movie. “Argo” is all about showing people this tale, which is virtually unknown to the public, so sticking to facts is an important facet of the filmmaking. Further, attention to detail is one reason this film is so memorable. From the decaying Hollywood sign to the wide colors and plaid suites to every subtle expression of the anxiety-driven hostages, “Argo” is able to transport you back in time as if you are watching this event occur.

After 444 days of crisis, the hostages were finally let out of Tehran. After almost 20 years, President Clinton declassified the tale of “Argo.” Tony Mendez was finally given the accolades that he deserved for extracting those six Americans. And as Oscar season rolls around, it is absolutely clear that “Argo” will be a heavy hitter in the awards. While Daniel Day-Lewis will most likely snag “Best Actor” for his portrayal of Lincoln, “Argo” will have its own take. My prediction is that “Argo” will win Best Picture, Best Adapted Screenplay and possibly even Best Director. If you have the time, you should definitely Ar-go see this movie.