America East play is here, and the Binghamton University softball team will look to put its early season inconsistencies in the rearview mirror this weekend against two-time defending champion Boston University.

The Bearcats (7-11) were last in action at the Radford Invitational last weekend where they posted a 1-3 record. BU was held scoreless on Sunday and had one hit in each of the day’s doubleheader games.

Binghamton head coach Michelle Burrell said the team has been working hard to right the wrongs from what was a forgettable day.

“We really just didn’t hit [on Sunday],” Burrell said. “I thought we went out the first day and were pretty good at bat. We made a good approach going into the [at]-bats, and we just lost that on Sunday. But we have been working on that since then and trying to have a better approach and looking to have a good workout this weekend.”

Burrell said she believes there is still room for improvement in all aspects of the game, especially in the field.

“It is still pretty early in our season, and we are just starting conference play,” she said. “So that’s like a new season for us. We’re just looking to improve with every game we play.”

A tough test awaits the Bearcats this weekend as they travel to the home of 12-time AE tournament champion Boston University for a doubleheader that will kick off Binghamton’s conference play schedule. Boston holds a solid 15-8 record this season, and Burrell has nothing but praise for the Terriers.

“It doesn’t hurt to play the better teams first,” she said. “They are a good team all around. They have got good pitchers, and good [defense].”

Binghamton does not possess the proudest of head-to-head record against the Terriers, managing only two victories in the teams’ last 15 meetings. While Burrell admits that the team has its work cut out, she believes the squad only has to focus on its own game to come out successfully.

“If we play well, they are beatable,” she said. “So we are just looking to come out and play our game and play them like against any other team.

“We are just looking to focus mainly on what we do, rather than the team that were playing,” Burrell continued. “I think we are in a good spot. We have been working on the little things that hurt us early on in the season against teams. Now we are really looking to make opponents work rather than give them extra opportunities.”

The Bearcats and Terriers are set to begin their series on Saturday in Boston with a doubleheader, the games set for 1 and 3 p.m. The weekend series is set to conclude with a matchup at noon on Sunday.