The Binghamton University softball team dropped four of five games at Texas Tech University’s Jeannine McHaney Memorial Classic this weekend, sliding to 3-7 on the year. The Bearcats, who lost all three matchups with the Texas Tech Red Raiders, split two games with The University of Texas at Arlington.

In Friday’s tournament opener, UT-Arlington (9-7) pounced early. The Mavericks rallied for three runs in each of the first two innings, tagging sophomore Demi Laney with four earned runs in 1.1 innings.

Binghamton errors in both innings aided UT-Arlington’s offensive attack, and Binghamton head coach Michelle Burrell said defense was a persistent issue throughout the tournament.

“I think our defense hurt us all weekend,” she said. “[In addition to] the errors that were on the scoreboard, we probably had more mental things that didn’t show up that resulted in a lot of their runs and just a lot of extra opportunities.”

Despite a double and a home run by junior Jessica Phillips, the Bearcats, who committed four errors, couldn’t pull any closer than the final score, 6-2.

The Bearcats faced Texas Tech (17-5) that afternoon, and although they were in striking distance in the sixth inning, the Red Raiders built an insurmountable 7-2 lead in the bottom of the frame. The game ended with sophomores Jessica Bump and Anna Blessing on bases.

Phillips went 1-for-3 with another home run while junior starting pitcher Rhoda Marsteller allowed four earned runs on six hits and three walks in three innings of work.

On Saturday, Binghamton avenged Friday’s loss to UT-Arlington, erupting for a five-run fourth inning before taking the contest 6-3. With one out and Phillips and senior Meghan Tucker on base, sophomore Mikala King belted a pitch over the fence to commence the offensive onslaught. Two more Bearcats crossed the plate as a result of a Maverick error.

“We got some momentum and kept it going and that’s how we scored a lot of runs in that one inning,” Burrell said. “I thought they did a good job of feeding off of each other and using the momentum they had.”

But UT-Arlington wouldn’t succumb without a fight. Trailing 6-1 in the top of the seventh, the Mavericks’ first two hitters reached base against junior Kate Price. They advanced to second and third on a wild pitch and scored on a two-out single, but could muster nothing more.

King went 2-for-3 with four RBI and Tucker recorded a hit in each of her three at-bats.

Though Binghamton exacted revenge on UT-Arlington, the Bearcats couldn’t do the same to Texas Tech. The Bearcats recorded just six hits in 28 at-bats and scored each of their two runs after a Red Raiders error.

Not a single Bearcat had multiple hits, though Phillips and freshman Caitlyn Friis both doubled. Senior Kristen Emerling was tagged with six earned runs in three innings as the Bearcats fell 8-2.

In Sunday’s tournament finale, Binghamton came closer to toppling Texas Tech. The Bearcats, who trailed 1-0 after two innings, used a home run by King to knot the score at 1-1 in the top of the fourth.

Though the Red Raiders answered with two runs in the bottom half, Binghamton also mustered a response. Friis homered to lead off the fifth, and with two outs and no runners on base, Phillips delivered her third home run of the weekend to tie the game.

But once again, Texas Tech had an answer. Junior Sandy James homered off Laney to start the bottom of the fifth, giving the Red Raiders a 4-3 lead, which they would maintain for the remainder of the game.

Though the Bearcats came close in their final meeting with the Red Raiders, they dropped the three games by a combined 19-7 score. Burrell said she was frustrated by the manner in which Binghamton lost.

“We know we gave them a couple of runs,” she said. “A team like Texas Tech, we’re not going to be able to make any mistakes. I think we saw that if we cut out the mistakes defensively … I think we kept those closer ball games.”

Phillips went 6-for-15 with three RBI while King went 6-for-16 with two homers and six runs batted in.

Binghamton is scheduled to next take the field on March 10 at the Longwood Tournament. The Bearcats will play North Carolina Central University and tournament host Longwood University two times each over the span of the weekend.

First pitch against North Carolina Central University is set for 1:15 p.m. Saturday in Virginia.