Arguably, the greatest honor a university can bestow upon a student is the position of commencement speaker at a graduation. The university is saying, “We trust you to represent the students, and impart a worthy message to the audience.” Now you would think that they would want an exceptional student to fulfill this role. Right?

When I heard that the fall 2012 student commencement speaker position was open, I jumped at it. Being a 4.0 student who will graduate in just three years is quite an accomplishment. I am 26 years old, married, work and I am expecting my first child in April. Now, I grew up extremely poor and am just now getting my degree because I had to drop out of high school to work and provide for my family. I lost my brother last year, but stayed true to the course when all I wanted to do was crawl into a hole and die.

So I thought this was my opportunity. I got stunning letters of recommendation from my professors, wrote an exceptional speech and knocked the interview out of the park. I knew I was only one of a few who applied so I thought my chances good. I waited on pins and needles for the commencement committee’s decision.

And … I didn’t get it. Man that was a harsh blow. I had to figure out why. Was there a more successful student? Was there a worldlier person who had more life experience? After pestering the committee that made the decision, I got my answer. I did not get the commencement speaker position because I was not an average student. I was too exceptional.

Let that sink in for a moment.

I was too successful and arguably too old. First off, in a school that claims it wants more non-traditional students, how does it make sense to punish a non-traditional student for being, well, non-traditional?

But the bigger issue is the average part. Instead of rewarding exceptionalism, this university is rewarding mediocrity. Is that the course our society is taking? With little league sports teams no longer giving out first place trophies and instead issuing everyone participation trophies, our society is moving toward the mediocre middle ground. How can we ask people to do their best in education, work, even their lives, when mediocrity is new benchmark? This striving for average — which is prevalent no longer just in grade school, but college, for God’s sake — is driving our country down a path of obscurity.

America has been the ideal of the rest of world for over a century. Who will look up to a country of averages where mediocrity is the new creed? We will no longer be America the Beautiful. We will become America the Average-looking. No longer America the Great. We will be America the Meh. Inspiring, isn’t it?

So I offer this advice. Don’t strive for success. Binghamton University doesn’t want exceptional students. They want you to slack off, not care, be “traditional” college students who go out and drink with the “bros” every weekend.

So go out there, guys and girls, make those B’s and C’s.

Be average. Your parents, and America, will be so proud.