Binghamton University student Thomas Mastro was sworn in as the newest member of the State University of New York (SUNY) Board of Trustees on Wednesday, May 27.

Mastro, a senior majoring in human development, was recently elected president of the SUNY Student Assembly (SA), which is made up of student association representatives from SUNY campuses. As part of his responsibilities, he will serve a yearlong term as a voting member of the SUNY Board. In addition, he will act as a voting member of the board for the Higher Education Services Corporation (HESC).

After attending Onondaga Community College for one semester and then Broome Community College (BCC) to finish his associate degree, Mastro transferred to BU to finish his bachelors. At BCC, he was president of the Student Assembly and vice president of the Faculty Student Association. Mastro has also served as the vice president of the SUNY SA during his time at BU.

SUNY Chancellor Nancy L. Zimpher said the SUNY Board looks forward to welcoming Mastro over the next year.

“I can see that Tom is going to bring an important and insightful perspective to the SUNY Board, having attended three of our campuses throughout his higher education and seeking a career in college student affairs,” she said in a press release.

Mastro said he is humbled to be the next student trustee. He will fill his new role at the next SUNY Board meeting on June 19.

“I look forward to representing the student body and working with Chancellor Zimpher and Chairman [Carl] McCall to ensure the student voice is heard and considered as we all work together to build the best State University possible,” he said.