Delta Chi had its charter suspended this week, renewing talks of hazing and interrupting a relatively controversy-free spring semester.

The Binghamton University chapter of Delta Chi was suspended indefinitely by the fraternity’s national organization, following reports by parents that the chapter was hazing its new members.

L.C. Coghill, the director of Greek Life at Binghamton University, said the parent of a new member called to alert the school of possible hazing, spurring further inquiry into the chapter’s pledging process.

“The Office of Student Conduct investigated the allegations and found them to be accurate,” he said. “While in the middle of our conduct process, we received a second report from a parent reporting that the behavior in question was still occurring.”

To continue to operate on campus, Delta Chi would need the national organization to restore the chapter’s charter.

Coghill would not elaborate on the specific charges until the University’s investigation is complete, and a representative from Delta Chi’s national headquarters declined to comment, saying only that the organization is conducting its own investigation.

Jason Comroe, the president of BU’s chapter of Delta Chi, refused to go into the details of the allegations, but said they do not involve “putting anyone in any danger.” He declined to elaborate further until the conclusion of the investigation, though he said he believes there is a “high possibility” nationals will restore the chapter’s charter.

“I feel like we’re on a good path, working at a good pace to getting everything resolved,” said Comroe, an undeclared sophomore.

Interfraternity Council President Alex Liu also said that Delta Chi is not accused of engaging in dangerous behavior.

“They weren’t suspended for what everyone envisions hazing allegations to be,” Liu said. “It was nothing that was dangerous or crazy, it was just a violation of rules.”

Coghill would not confirm or deny whether the charges involved dangerous behavior, but he did say he takes all hazing charges seriously.

“All hazing is a violation of the Student Code of Conduct and is completely unacceptable,” he said.

If the University decides to pursue any action against the chapter,potential sanctions would come from the Office of Student Conduct. Milton Chester, the director of the office, could not be reached for comment.

Delta Chi is the third IFC organization to be suspended since the beginning of last semester; Zeta Beta Tau and Alpha Chi Rho were both suspended in the fall.

However, Liu said the size of the IFC has more to do with the suspensions than any than any functional differences between the Greek councils.

“Being the largest council it would make sense that we have a larger possibility of having an organization that makes a mistake,” Liu said. “We are much larger — in terms of organization size and council size — and have a much larger presence on campus.”

Liu also said he believes there is a distinction between dangerous and non-dangerous hazing, and that each should be treated differently.

“In some instances [I] would argue that certain examples of non-dangerous hazing shouldn’t be classified as hazing at all,” he said. “Most cases are just small infractions of policy, such as keeping new members too late or having an action/statement made by a brother with no harmful intent being misinterpreted by a new member as hazing.”