As the semester’s end draws near and life seems to be spinning out of control, Chabad is inviting students to drop their books and attempt to earn a place in the “Guinness Book of World Records.”

Chabad will host 700 students at the “Dreidel Spin-Off” on Dec. 10 in the hopes of setting a record for the most dreidels spinning simultaneously.

Learning from earlier attempts to set this record that were not properly documented, Chabad organizers researched the exact requirements to break the record, which include having witnesses and photographic evidence.

“At Chabad, we are always looking for new, innovative and exciting ways to celebrate our holidays and traditions,” said Rabbi Levi Slonim, Chabad’s director of programming. “Students are very enthusiastic about this idea of breaking a world record.”

According to Lucy Schwartz, Chabad major programs coordinator, it has been a challenge to recruit 700 people for the Spin-Off. Chabad plans to meet their goal by “reaching out to specific organizations, clubs, sports teams, and Greek Life groups and having them pre-register.”

Chabad welcomes anyone to sign up to be a part of the Spin-Off, and is offering a poster and a chance to be in the Guinness Book to anyone who signs up and guarantees that five people from their organization will attend.

“We’re making history, and who wouldn’t want to be in the world record book?” said Kara Dinowitz, an event organizer and a sophomore majoring in English.

Schwartz agreed and said that student groups will want their names in the Guinness book.

“It is really an awesome opportunity to put your organization’s name out there,” said Schwartz, a junior majoring in English.

The event will feature free food including latkes, donuts and hot apple cider at the afterparty, as well as a performance by the Binghamton Crosbys.

“So many students are working hard to ensure that the Dreidel Spin-Off will be a success,” Schwartz said.

The event is the final push for Chabad’s annual toy drive. The toys collected will be sent to children during the holidays through Chai Lifeline, a charity that provides aid to children with cancer. The toy drive, co-sponsored by SDT sorority and SAE fraternity, will attempt to raise $10,000 for the organization.

“This event serves as a great way to be part of history while having fun and giving back to the community at the same time,” Slonim said.

Since Chanukah falls completely within the semester this year, the Spin-Off and the culmination of the toy drive are meant to be a large-scale, fun event for the student body at Chabad’s Chanukah Bash celebration.

Although this event will be the first of its kind to go in the Guinness book, BU is no stranger to breaking records.

In 1981, Lisa D’Amato set the world record for the world’s longest shower, lasting from 5:20 p.m. on Thursday, Nov. 5 until 6:21 p.m. on Tuesday, Nov. 10 in Hinman College’s Smith Hall. Two math professors also set a record by taking the concept of a magic square to the ninth level.

In March, Chabad hosted Shabbat 1500, which broke the record for the largest Shabbat dinner in the United States with 1,575 people in attendance.

Lani Levi, an undeclared sophomore who is helping to run the Dreidel Spin-Off, said she is confident that Chabad will break another record with this event.

“If we can get 1,500 people to the Events Center on a Friday night, then we can definitely get 700 to the Union on a Monday,” Levi said.

Students interested in participating can sign up on Chabad’s website.