Welcome to Pipe Dream’s Multicultural Issue!

This semester, Pipe Dream’s Arts & Culture section launched our first-ever Multicultural Issue, spotlighting Binghamton University’s cultural organizations with the aim of fostering awareness and support of the cultural community on campus. Pipe Dream adheres to the Multicultural Resource Center’s definition of multicultural, which includes Cultural and affinity, LGBTQ+, Pre-professional and service, Cultural Greek, Religious and Performance groups, among others. Beginning in late January, Pipe Dream collaborated with the vice president for multicultural affairs to invite multicultural organizations to be featured in this special issue. After reaching out to us directly, organizations had the option of choosing one type of article that they prefer — club features, previews of future events, guest columns or Q&A articles. There was a quota of 12 articles for the issue, decided on a first-come first-serve basis, to ensure that we cover the organizations as democratically and holistically as possible, with a focus on each organization’s voice while acknowledging Pipe Dream’s capacity for coverage. We are grateful to have the opportunity of sharing the valuable work of all the multicultural organizations featured in this issue, and hope that readers gain insight into some of the robust multiculturalism that BU’s student groups have to offer. If multicultural organizations are interested in coverage outside of Multicultural Issue, please contact arts@bupipedream.com with any inquiries.

Asian Student Union

Founded in 1987 at Binghamton University, Asian Student Union (ASU) is one of BU’s largest cultural organizations.

Read more

Binghamton University Association of Mixed Students

Founded in 2002, the Binghamton University Association of Mixed Students (BAMS) continues to build and foster community for students with mixed-race backgrounds and heritage.

Read more

BDR to present Exposé spring showcase

The Black Dance Repertoire (BDR) will perform in “Exposé,” their annual spring showcase on April 26.

Read more

A Q&A with Candela’s Joskarly Fermin Rodriguez>

Pipe Dream spoke with Rodriguez, co-public relations chair for Candela: Latin Dance Club, to learn more about the club’s origin, involvement on campus and future goals.

Read more

Chabad to host Shabbat 2400

Chabad at Binghamton prepares for their annual, student-wide Shabbat dinner, raising the bar from previous years with a goal of 2400 students.

Read more

Henna Club

Henna Club aims to foster community and creativity through an important cultural art form.

Read more

Juvenile Urban Multicultural Program

JUMP Nation will be hosting their annual JUMP Weekend as part of their mission to help at-risk students overcome socioeconomic issues and achieve academic success.

Read more

A Q&A with LASU’s Carla Gonzalez

Pipe Dream interviewed Gonzalez, publications chair for the Latin American Student Union, to discuss the club’s goals, initiatives and connection to the campus community.

Read more

Out in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics

oSTEM fosters an inclusive environment for members of the LGBTQIA+ community who are interested in professional advancement within STEM fields.

Read more

Pretty Girls Sweat to host their Pink Brunch

Pretty Girls Sweat, a Binghamton organization focused on the health and wellness of women, will host their Pink Brunch on April 6.

Read more

Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers

SHPE is a community of Hispanic students in STEM, fostering and uplifting a breadth of customs and professional skills.

Read more

Undivided: Multicultural R&B Group

Undivided offers a safe and encouraging environment for students of color to explore their musical craft and interests.

Read more