Sourced by ballotpedia Kim Myers

Kim Myers is the Democratic candidate for Broome County’s 4th district seat in the Broome County Legislature. District 4 includes much of the Town of Vestal — including Binghamton University’s main campus. Myers served in the legislature from 2015 to 2016 and again in 2019 after Daniel Reynolds’ resignation. Myers was reelected in 2020 and serves as the current representative of District 4.

How does your background and previous experience make you a good candidate for this position?

“I feel I can and do offer students including BU students the opportunity to be heard and to listen. I also offer the opportunity to help others through the programs I do throughout the area helping students and families in need. In fact, many BU students have not only helped build a software program for our inventory but have helped with the unloading and organizing of goods. Many high school students help as well. I feel this is an effective way to engage, listen and connect with youth.”

What do you believe are the biggest issues facing Broome County and how do you plan to approach them?

“I feel the biggest concern in my district is the divide as in, it seems, all politics these days. No one can be heard, no problems solved with such polarization. I plan to approach this issue as I always have, by not buying into the nastiness, truths or lies from either side. How to engage members in a community and address concerns — to engage members of the community one must provide and show they are willing to listen. This can be via emails with offers to meet in person. Many are still reluctant to meet in groups or come to events due to ongoing COVID-19 issues. But Zoom can be an effective tool.”

Many students and community members are concerned about the increasing prices of housing in the area as well as many reported infractions made by landlords. How do you plan to address housing?

“Priority for [Broome County] funds. I think the priority for funding in [Broome County] is to address wages of many Broome County employees and address quality housing. We are in a terrible housing crisis. The absentee landlords with substandard and disgusting properties must be addressed. I have and will continue to work to hold landlords accountable while also helping the few whose properties are abused hold renters accountable. No person or company should be allowed to purchase any property for the purpose of renting to others if they have any code violations currently unresolved. Also, they should not be allowed to purchase back their property that has gone into default due to unpaid taxes. Regardless of if they end up paying the back taxes. It costs the County money for the whole process that could be spent elsewhere.”

What do you offer the students and youth of Broome County and why should they vote for you?

“All young voters in the nation need to know that the future depends on them. Not voting is not an option. For decades I have registered voters and ‘preached’ the importance of not only voting but being an informed voter! Know the consequences of your vote or nonvote! I believe I have earned the reputation as someone who will always work and vote for what is right for the good of the whole, or at least what is the best of sometimes not great choices. I will always encourage and even at times berate people on their obligation and responsibility to vote. I had an amazing eighth grade U.S. history teacher, an immigrant, who taught me a lesson I’ll never forget. She said our government doesn’t work without participations — that you must participate. I humbly ask for each vote on the promise that I will, am, a person who only votes after I have personally looked at the issue and consequences of every side. It doesn’t matter to me who in either party is upset with me. If only our nation would do the same, we would not be in the mess we are in now. The only way out — is to vote!”