Michael Sugarman/Contributing Photographer

Crepe Heaven, located on the corner of Main St. and Schiller St., is off-the-beaten-path for some students. But for people with celiac disease like myself looking for gluten-free options, or anyone who wants an affordable, tasty lunch, it’s a trip worth taking.

Walking into Crepe Heaven — which is offering a special Restaurant Week lunch menu until September 24 — the air feels cool, sugar-dusted and smells faintly of pastries. The European atmosphere of the restaurant can be credited to the owner’s Bosnian roots and the four years that he spent in Italy. Eating at the family-owned restaurant feels like you are seated in a family dining room with the kitchen located just out of sight.

We spent so long enjoying the smell that we almost forgot to order. The restaurant offers the lunch special until 5:00 p.m., so make sure to get there early enough if you’re looking for the best deal.

An extremely accommodating waitstaff let us try the Restaurant Week options. The lunch offer includes a soup or salad, an entrée crepe and a dessert crepe for the low price of $12.

The first course was served in what looked like a large teacup and was generous portion-wise. The soup du jour itself was homemade, packed with lots of fresh vegetables, and was not overly salty. The celery and carrots were crunchy while the cherry tomatoes burst in my mouth and the potatoes melted with each bite. The different textures made for a wholesome, hearty soup.

For the entrée, there are five crepe options that range from a fairly basic cheese crepe to the Philly cheese steak crepe. While the latter option seemed like it would be a heavy option, it felt healthier and lighter than its associated dish. The vegetable crepe option was simple and felt similar to a more delicate veggie wrap or an omelette. It included mushrooms, tomatoes, spinach and broccoli. The vegetable crepe, when ordered as is, would benefit from the addition of cheese or eggs. Crepe Heaven has the option of adding these ingredients, however, so make sure to order it that way. I chose the gluten-free option for the crepe itself, and it was a treat to find: light, airy, and pastry-like.

For dessert, Crepe Heaven offers the option of a slice of cake or one of three crepes: Nutella, lemon and butter, one with your choice of three types of jam or one with bavarian creme. What I found in the last option was an interesting play on other desserts like a Napoleon or Bavarian creme pie. But instead of a flaky crust, the creme was transported to a delicate, sweet crepe.

The owner began catering to people with gluten-free diets as a favor to two girls who live above the restaurant. Once they found out that there was a market for gluten-free dining, they continued to cater to those who have a gluten intolerance. Over time, Crepe Heaven became very comfortable with gluten-free substitutions and varieties, putting in a lot of time to correct the consistency of the batter.

Crepe Heaven’s owner is very aware of cross-contamination and has a specified pan and utensils for gluten-free cooking. The people there are so perceptive and considerate that having ordered gluten-free for other courses, my soup was served without the saltine crackers. Paying attention to details like these really makes Crepe Heaven stand out.