Binghamton winters can leave you feeling trapped in a purgatorial state, confining you to the indoors where all you have to do is look from one glowing rectangle to another. But it’s actually not so hard to stay active, and there are plenty of clubs and activities on campus to help you.

Outdoors Club

Are you adventurous? Do you like being outside? If you said yes or even maybe to both of these questions, you’d like the Binghamton Outdoors Club. This student-run organization plans a variety of trips every weekend that will satisfy your inner outdoorsman/woman — whether it’s hiking, backpacking and camping or less conventional activities like spelunking, indoor rock climbing and snowshoeing. Trip expenses are usually funded by the club. The club meets every Monday at 8 p.m. in Science I, Room 162.

Snocats Ski and Snowboarding Club

If you’re into skiing and snowboarding but don’t have a car or cold hard cash to spend on lift tickets, check out Snocats. They offer lift ticket discounts as well as day trips to popular mountains such as Killington, Stratton and Mount Snow. This club welcomes all experience levels, so don’t sweat it if you’re just a beginner. For info about the club and upcoming trips, contact snocats@binghamtonsa.org.

Binghamton Outdoor Pursuits

Outdoor Pursuits offers different guided outdoor activities and workshops that will get you up and out of your dorm. Upcoming trips include an intro to cross-country skiing workshop, snowshoe hiking by the Finger Lakes and tobogganing. The full schedule of trips is available on the Campus Recreation website. Activities can cost anywhere from $0 to $125, but most trips are $35 and below for students. Those interested in participating must register at the Outdoor Pursuits office in the East Gym.

Group Fitness Classes

Put that gym membership to use! If you find that you can’t bear the thought of slogging out in the frigid cold just to run on the treadmill for half an hour, try one of the East Gym’s many group fitness classes. There are over 100 classes offered per week, including Spinning, Total Body Toning, Barre Burn, Yoga, Zumba and RIPPED. Not only are they a great way to shake up your routine, but you get to have fun while simultaneously getting a great workout.

Rec Swim

Swimming is another great way to keep your body active during the winter, and the East Gym pool offers both lap and recreational swim times so that students, as long as they have valid BU IDs with them, can get their swim time in. Lap swim is generally offered from 6 a.m. to 9 a.m. on weekdays while rec swim is from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. Check the Campus Recreation website for details.

Winter LARP

Do you want to stab a snowman? Binghamton’s LARP (Live Action Role Play) Club will be continuing its fantastical sessions throughout the cold winter months, so don’t hesitate to pick up your sword and join the battle. Email larp@binghamtonsa.org for more information on meeting times and upcoming LARP events.