There are serious issues with our education system today. Not only do the education classes at Binghamton University tell us that, but others around the world are saying the same thing. After going to the TEDx event here at BU, I decided to research some other TED talks and stumbled across one by Sir Ken Robinson. His talk advocates for an education revolution.

In his talk, Robinson says, “Every education system in the world is being reformed at the moment and it’s not enough. Reform is no use anymore, because that’s simply improving a broken model. What we need — and the word’s been used many times during the course of the past few days — is not evolution, but a revolution in education. This has to be transformed into something else.” He is absolutely right. We live in a country where we are constantly trying to fix something that is clearly irreparable instead of creating a new system that will actually make a difference.

He notes that there are things we are unnecessarily committed to in education. One of these things is linearity. We all start in one place and follow a track. If we do everything correctly and as best we can, we will be set for the rest of our lives. However, as Robinson argues, we need to realize that life isn’t linear; life is organic.

Robinson speaks about the fact that we have become obsessed with this linear lifestyle, and that everyone’s goal in the end is to get into college. He even goes so far as to say that we are obsessed with getting into college. I know firsthand that it’s the truth. When my little sister was in first grade, she decided to donate her hair to Locks of Love. The first thing that was said to her was that if she continued to do this every few years, it would make for a great college application essay.

The education system is so centered on numbers and test scores and getting into a good college, it forgets that students are just kids who need to learn where they thrive and what they love to do. Robinson says, “College begins in kindergarten … there’s such competition now to get into kindergarten — to get to the right kindergarten — that people are being interviewed for it at 3…” That has to be the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. How are you supposed to be interviewed at age 3? And more importantly, what makes one 3-year-old better than another?

“We have to change from the industrial model to an agricultural model, where each school can be flourishing tomorrow. That’s where children experience life. Or at home, if that’s where they choose to be educated with their families or their friends.” I think that Ken Robinson said exactly what the problem is. We need to start looking at students and education as a means to grow and flourish.

Editor’s Note: Columnist Justin Santabarbara’s response to this piece, “Education reform cannot happen overnight,” can be found here.