Binghamton University announced on Tuesday morning that the City of Binghamton Police Department (BPD) had been investigating fraternity parties on Friday night and arrested officials from two fraternities on charges of unauthorized sale of alcoholic beverages. Pipe Dream  already had requested the associated reports on Monday evening. This page will be updated as more information becomes available.

Oct. 16, 2012 — 3:50 p.m. A sergeant for BPD declined to answer any questions or provide any additional comments beyond what is included in the press statement (included below). A clerk for City of Binghamton Court stated that none of the defendants have been arraigned yet and that it is likely that appearance tickets were issued at the time of the arrest. A clerk for the BPD records department stated that it is unlikely that the police reports will be available through the freedom of information law at this point.

It should also be noted that while Zachary Stein and Claude Fong are both over 21, Matthew Opramolla is underage.

Here is the full release from BPD:

BINGHAMTON POLICE SHUT DOWN LARGE FRATERNITY PARTIES DUE TO ILLEGAL SALE OF ALCOHOL

Early Saturday morning, October 13th, 2012, members of the Binghamton Police Community Response Team  investigated two large Binghamton University fraternity house parties in the City of Binghamton.

Officers learned that the Tau Alpha Upsilon fraternity at 44 Exchange Street and the Alpha Chi Rho fraternity at 86 Hawley Street were hosting large parties for B.U. Homecoming weekend.  Police  checked this area around midnight and noticed dozens of college-aged persons congregating in the streets and sidewalks around the intersection of Exchange Street and Hawley Street. The backyards of fraternity houses are nearly adjoined and the two parties had hundreds of students inside and around both houses.

Community Response Team Police Officers,  dressed in plain clothes and posing as BU students, entered both houses and were charged money to drink alcohol. Officers observed what appeared to be hundreds of obvious underage college students inside consuming alcohol.

Police immediately stopped the party, and waited as hundreds of students exited from both fraternity houses. Police then stood by and requested  any available busses and taxi cabs in order to assist the students in safely returning to campus.

Binghamton Police arrested three people as a result of the investigation, and seized cash funds as evidence of alcohol sales proceeds. The three arrested were taken into custody and transported to the Binghamton Police Headquarters, where they were later released with appearance ticket to return to Binghamton City Court.

Arrested:

Claude F. Fong, d/o/b 2/9/91, 44 Exchange St. 

Charge(s): Prohibited Sales of Alcohol, a class-A misdemeanor

Zachary Stein, d/o/b 8/22/91, 86 Hawley St.

Matthew J. Opramolla, d/o/b 12/2/91, 86 Hawley St

Prior to the weekends activities. Binghamton Police Chief Joseph Zikuski prepared his officers in advance for such possible large scale parties. Chief Zikuski  commended his officers for investigating and stopping the parties, and remains committed to the proactive policing of underage drinking and prohibited alcohol sales to underage persons.

Oct. 16, 2012 — 1:40 p.m. The City of Binghamton Police Department has officially confirmed that the following people were arrested early Saturday morning:

1) Zachary Stein, the president of the Inter-Fraternity Council and Alpha Chi Rho
2) Claude Fong, the president of Tau Alpha Upsilon
3) Matthew J. Opramolla, who was at the Alpha Chi Rho house

All of them were charged with Prohibited Sales of Alcohol, a class-A misdemeanor.

Oct. 16, 2012 — 11:05 a.m. The City of Binghamton Police Department entered the houses of Alpha Chi Rho and Tau Alpha Upsilon on Friday night to investigate possible unauthorized sale of alchoholic beverages, according to a statement the University released this morning. Two officials from the fraternities were arrested. Pipe Dream has identified the individuals arrested and requested copies of the police reports yesterday. Updates to follow.