Avery Benzaken is a senior majoring in economics.

1. Tell us a bit about yourself — any clubs, hobbies or major plans for the future?

“For now, I am considering concentrating in data analytics but have not declared a concentration yet. I’ve been involved in student government for about two years now, serving as a [Student Association (SA)] Congress [representative] on Off Campus College Council for one year and currently as SA treasurer. Over this time, I’ve developed a passion for student government. Most of my free time right now is occupied by ‘budget season,’ making sure that SA organizations are getting the funds they need to operate next year. In my free time I love kicking back with a good movie, cooking (breakfast foods are my specialty) and just spending time with friends. My career [plans] are ultimately to continue my family’s business and work independently in consulting, though I’d love to begin my career working for a not-for-profit organization.”

2. What is your platform?

“My platform is pretty simple: communication and commitment. Communication is really the building block of everything in an organization and there are so many moving parts in our university, but at the center of it all is us, the students. I have spoken to students on campus to become more informed about some of the issues that students are facing. Aside from the ones we tend to be more familiar with such as the issues with Sodexo, or the need for more accessible mental health resources, there are others that are more personal to some students and I plan on tackling those specific issues as well as those that impact the entire student body.”

3. Why did you decide to run for an SA E-Board position?

“When I first joined SA Congress, I started learning about so many resources we have on campus for the first time, like the Student Culinary Council or the SA service that reviews leases for students planning to live off campus. It was amazing to see the power that the student body has, and the peer-to-peer programs that are set up to benefit students, but I also found it unfortunate that only after joining student government did I learn about these resources. I want to run for Binghamton University Council student representative because I want to empower the student body. I want every individual to have a way to go directly to a source with their questions and concerns and I am ready to be that resource. I see the areas in which we are lacking, namely communication between governing bodies, and the students and I will work to increase the flow of information to students and from students to the administration.

4. Why should students vote for you?

In my three years at BU and my time as a congress representative and SA treasurer, I’ve taken the time to understand student needs and the resources we have available to make actual change. In that time, I’ve learned that each individual’s perspective is vastly different from their peers, but if we take the time to sit and talk with each other we have so much to gain and that perspective can become more unified. As I’ve said, communication is my main goal, between students, community leadership, governing bodies like the SA and [Graduate Student Organization], and primarily the administration. I believe that my track record shows that I’ve put in the time and proven myself to be an effective leader. Furthermore, as a graduate from Harpur [College] and a graduate student in the [Master of Business Administration] program I have a personal stake in the well-being of all students and ensure that I will do everything I can to create a better living and learning environment on our campus.