Alumni Tom Moore and Garrett Waldron, ‘17, were honored this past Friday by receiving certificates recognizing their All-American selection for the 2017 season.

Following in the footsteps of BU head coach Kevin McKeown, alumni Tom Moore and Garrett Waldron, ‘17, were honored on campus as All-Americans on Friday. The recent graduates are the second and third All-Americans from the men’s lacrosse team and the 14th and 15th All-Americans in the Binghamton athletic department’s history. With two All-Americans being selected from the team in the same season, and with 11 wins earned to set a new program record for victories in the 2017 season, this event also serves as a culmination to what is described as the most successful lacrosse season in program history.

“These are just the third and fourth athletes who have been inducted as All-Americans in team sports,” said BU President Harvey Stenger. “That sounds like that is just a random statistic, but that’s critical when you think about the baseball programs with 300 teams out there to get an All-American. For lacrosse, to have two All-Americans in one year is quite outstanding.”

Not only did Waldron finish the season last year with 42 ground balls and 19 forced turnovers, but his versatility and tenacity on defense are what separated him as an All-American.

“In 16 of our games, Garrett held nine of those opponents’ top leading scorer to one point or less,” McKeown said. “He also held, arguably, one of the most talented players in the country to his lowest point on the season, which is only three points. Garrett was a complete defenseman. He was able to guard [short]-speed dodgers that were quick around the goal. And he was able to guard 6-foot-4 220 goal dodgers that tried to run through him. I truly believe that this is what made him so special.”

Waldron started 11 games in 2016 before suffering a torn ACL. Despite not playing in the season’s final three weeks, he was quick to emerge as a leader and became the captain of the team.

“Something we preach here as a team is that we are family,” Waldron said. “These are some of the closest group of guys I’ve ever seen in my life. They have given me the best four years of my life that I will remember for the rest of my life. You can’t do your job on the field unless you know every single guy behind you is doing their job as well and they always did.”

In regard to Moore, McKeown spoke on his character and the unique experiences that shaped him for his breakout season last year.

“Despite being the most talented goal scorer on our team, Tom was a very unselfish individual,” McKeown said. “He was quick to praise his teammates in postgame interviews. He was quick to high-five his teammates that set him up for a goal. He was quick to get everybody involved on the offensive end of the field and realize the importance of six guys working together on an offense.”

Moore broke the Binghamton single-season records for both points (73) and goals (48). He finished the season ranked sixth among Division I players in goals per game (3.00) and 13th in points per game (4.56). The former BU standout was drafted in the sixth round of the Major League Lacrosse draft with the 47th overall pick by the Atlanta Blaze.

“It is a truly humbling experience to be up here to receive this award,” Moore said. “If you would’ve asked me a couple of years ago, that I was going to be an All-American, I [probably would’ve laughed] at you. To be a part of such a great team and such a great community it’s actually unbelievable to feel the love and support from everyone. The big thing I wanted to talk about is that it was never about the statistics or anything like that. It was always about the team and just being a part of the guys.”

As the current lacrosse team looks to follow up on of one of its best seasons, Moore will be moving on to his new career as a professional athlete, while working at RAS Boriskin law firm and applying to law schools during the offseason. Waldron intends to work at National Income Life Insurance Company.

Read more from Pipe Dream Sports: 

Volleyball falls to UMBC, Hawks

Men’s soccer ties UMBC in Homecoming match

Women’s soccer dominates, blanks Retrievers at home