In 2020, young voters came out in force and made their voices heard. More young Americans voted in 2020 than in any recent election. In the 2020 election, approximately 50 percent of registered voters aged 18 to 29 voted, an 11-point increase from 2016. This historic turnout shattered a long-standing trend of low youth voting participation in America. Why did younger voters turn out so strong in 2020? The answer is simple — it was the most controversial and consequential presidential race in years. The race was a referendum on President Donald Trump, who had been in power and dominating the airwaves since 2016.

However, despite this major youth turnout in 2020, in America, the age group 65 to 74 had the highest percentage of registered voters. Older Americans are a reliable voting block who have the power to determine the outcome of elections. These individuals are often retired and have more time to invest in politics. This stands in stark contrast to the average young voter. With busy school schedules and even busier social lives, for most young voters, it can be easy to overlook the civic duty of voting. Most young people don’t follow national politics closely, let alone local races such as those for state senators and congressmen. This is a big issue, which has arguably been caused by a lack of adequate political education in schools.

It’s vital that political outreach and education continue to ensure that the youngest generation of voters become engaged in politics and learn the importance of voting. One political figure who is actively working on this is Stacy Abrams. Abrams ran for governor of Georgia in 2018 and is running again in 2022. Although she did not win the governorship in 2018, she was responsible for a major increase in Democratic voter turnout in Georgia. In the years following the race, Abrams greatly focused on voter outreach. Through her efforts, Abrams was able to register a whopping 800,000 new Democratic voters in Georgia just in time for the 2020 election. She is arguably responsible for Joe Biden’s narrow win in Georgia as well as the Democratic flip of both of Georgia’s senate seats in 2020.

In addition to voter outreach, it is essential that candidates appeal to younger voters in order to secure their votes. Politicians like the aforementioned Abrams, as well as others, like Ed Markey of Massachusetts, have mastered this art. This election cycle, Abrams has gone out of her way to make appearances at popular events such as concerts, recently appearing onstage with Alicia Keys. This is a clever strategy for reaching out to young voters who may not be particularly interested in politics. Abrams has also campaigned at many colleges and universities across Georgia, focusing on issues such as student debt relief, which are popular among younger Americans. This is a smart move that brings her message directly to young voters’ doorsteps.

On the other hand, Ed Markey is a senator from Massachusetts who performed very well among younger voters during his 2020 campaign. At 74 years old, you may not expect him to be popular with America’s youngest voters — you would be wrong. His iconic Nike Air sneakers and support of proposals such as the Green New Deal established Markey as a Gen-Z superstar. He featured young Americans in his ads and focused his campaign around the issues that mattered most to them, propelling him to victory in a race where he was the presumed underdog. Markey demonstrates that any candidate, if they put in the effort, has the potential to appeal to a younger audience. His campaign should be seen as a model for other politicians who lack the same skills.

So, will younger voters turn out for the midterm elections? It’s hard to tell. The midterms are historically overlooked, with a decrease in turnout compared to presidential election years. We can only hope that young voters continue to take an interest in politics as they did in 2020. Furthermore, we need more candidates like Stacy Abrams and Ed Markey, who understand the importance of voter outreach. Most politicians just focus on winning existing votes and foolishly neglect the opportunity to expand the electorate. Abrams and Markey have proven that outreach is a worthwhile effort that can truly make all the difference.

Michael Toscano is a sophomore majoring in business administration.