For a day, Binghamton University’s official color was purple.

In an effort to bring awareness to issues of domestic violence, people across New York, BU students included, wore purple to celebrate Wear Purple Day.

Purple Day can be traced back to Albany, where Gov. Andrew Cuomo encouraged people to wear purple in support of the “Shine the Light on Domestic Violence” campaign in 2008.

Jessica Krohn, interpersonal violence prevention coordinator, wrote in an email that the effects of domestic violence reach much farther than most people realize.

“Interestingly, some say that 1 in 8 women are likely to get breast cancer,” she wrote. “Whereas, 1 in 4 women are likely to experience dating violence.“

However, statistics fail to capture the true scope of domestic violence, according to Krohn.

“One of the major problems with statistics for any acts of interpersonal violence, is that very few reports are actually made,” she wrote. “Many people do not report acts of interpersonal violence to authorities for many reasons, maybe due to stigma, fear people would not believe them, maybe they think they deserved the act of violence, afraid they would get in trouble or would [get] the abuser in trouble, and many more.”

Eleanor Smith, a freshman majoring in linguistics, was one of the many students donning purple.

“Domestic violence is an important issue that does not get anywhere near enough of the attention it deserves,” Smith said.

Amrita Deol, a junior majoring in neuroscience, agreed that it is an issue that can’t be ignored.

“I think it’s an important issue because it’s something that’s very prevalent,” Deol said.

There is a vigil Monday, Oct. 21 for victims of domestic violence, hosted by sororities Sigma Psi Zeta and Omega Phi Beta. There will also be a tabling event to collect signatures for a pledge titled “Pledge Against Domestic Violence” on Friday at the women’s volleyball game against University of Massachusetts Lowell at 1 p.m.

Buildings were lit up in purple to support the cause, including the Glenn G. Bartle Library on campus and the SUNY Plaza building in downtown Albany. Electronic signs in Time Square were also in purple.