Jacqui Levin / Staff Photographer

Sunday morning provided ideal weather for the first annual Tour DeFleur 5K run/walk, as students, faculty and community members gathered together to raise money for charity.

Forty-seven athletes participated in the event, which was organized by six resident assistants from housing communities across campus. Prizes were awarded to the first three men and women to complete the run, with Steve Cammisa coming in first for the men and Kelly Billingiere for the women.

Although organizers said that University President Lois B. DeFleur had been invited to the event, she declined to attend, citing a scheduling conflict, but gave a donation instead.

Altogether, the event raised nearly $300 for the charities in addition to donations received from housing communities and individuals in honor of the run. Entrants paid a five dollar registration, all of which went directly to the charities involved — the Eating Awareness Committee and the Vestal Volunteer Fire Department.

“The Vestal Fire Department supported Environmental Health and Safety this fall [by] doing RA/RD fire safety training,” said Vestal Fire Department Assistant Chief Chuck Paffie. “Some of the committee had attended that training and loved it.”

“We all thought it was a really good presentation and wanted to help them in some way,” said Debra Swersky, a resident assistant in College-in-the-Woods’ Oneida Hall.

The money that will be given to the fire department will go toward its fire prevention campaign to educate children on fire safety.

The Eating Awareness Committee, a University-wide committee created by Student Affairs in 1998 in order to better address and develop educational plans for issues surrounding body image and eating disorders, will use the donation to help fund educational programs they put on throughout the year.

“The EA committee was planning to host a 5K event this year itself, when I was approached by the coordinating group of RAs,” said Cindy S. Cowden, associate director of Campus Recreational Services. “It seemed like a great opportunity to share the event.”

The committee, which is composed of faculty and staff from various health-oriented departments on campus, relies entirely on donations and sponsorships from the University and the community.

“This spring we are planning to host a program called “Muscle-Bound,” which is a one-man multimedia, multidisciplinary theatrical performance that explores the issues surrounding male body image,” Cowden said. “All proceeds of the race will be used to offset the costs of this campus program.”

Both charities were very grateful to receive the money raised by the run and were very pleased with the outcome.

“I think the Tour DeFleur was a huge success for its first year,” Cowden said. “The RAs planning the event did a fantastic job at coordinating a fun and healthy outing for the campus community.”