There is a time and place for babies, so when talking about sex, it is important to have a good understanding of birth control. Birth control is so vital because it is not just used for pregnancy prevention, but it can also be used for things not related to sex, like helping people with menstrual cycles regulate them or prevent acne. Since birth control is such a needed commodity, here is a list of all the ways people can access it.

Direct medical routes

The first option is probably the most obvious: speaking with a gynecologist. These doctors specialize in reproductive health, and they can work with you directly to find a birth control plan that works best for you.

These options include inserting a ring, implant or IUD, using patches or administering shots. Vasectomies are also a great option. These options do not prevent STDs, but they are a really effective way to stop unwanted pregnancies. When using these forms of birth control, it is also wise to use a condom, so that everyone is as safe as they can be.

Found at a drugstore

Condoms and birth control sponges are the best options for birth control that do not require prescriptions. Condoms can prevent both pregnancy and STDs, which makes them a great birth control option. They are relatively cheap at your local pharmacy — often ranging from $2 to $10 — and make sex a much safer and thus much more enjoyable experience.

Birth control sponges go against the cervix, and they are easily removable. They do not protect against STDs, but they are a cheap way to add more pregnancy protection. An average pack of three sponges is around $15. Plus, you can use a sponge and a condom at the same time, solving the STD problem. While there is only one brand that can be found in the United States, they should be available at your local pharmacy as well.

Spermicide is another great over-the-counter option. This is a cheap chemical that goes into the vagina and prevents pregnancy. It does not prevent STDs, however, so using a condom as well is important. This gel is often used with other forms of birth control, but it can also be used on its own. It can be found at most drug stores and supermarkets.

Prescriptions

While all the hormonal and implant methods discussed in the first section require medical appointments or prescriptions, there are some other forms of barrier birth control that also require a prescription. These can be found at drug stores with a prescription.

A diaphragm is a small cup that protects the cervix during sex. It works much better with spermicide, but it is relatively cheap. Usually, the doctor’s visit to get the prescription is the majority of the cost. It does not protect against STDs, so once again, a condom is a good addition to its use.

A cervical cap is very similar to a diaphragm, as it is a cup that goes in the vagina and protects the cervix. However, it is shaped differently than a diaphragm and it is a smaller size. It does not protect against STDs and also requires the use of spermicide. Talk to a doctor about which cup would work best for you.

An internal condom is a condom that goes inside the uterus instead of on the penis. This may need a prescription, but it is not always required. Whether you need a prescription or not, they are a cheap option, around $3 per condom, to protect against STDs and pregnancy.

Online birth control

The birth control pill is a very popular form of birth control, but going to the doctor’s to get a prescription can be difficult for some, so there are plenty of ways to get birth control online at a cheap price. Some of these services include Planned Parenthood, The Pill Club and SimpleHealth. These resources enable you to get online prescriptions for birth control pills at a small price, around $7 to $15.

Campus resources

Decker Student Health Services also provides female reproductive health examinations. While they offer a lot of resources other than birth control, they can provide prescriptions for students for various kinds of birth control, which includes pills and Depo-Provera, which is an injection-style contraceptive.

These resources are just examples of what students can use when looking for birth control. Every person is different, and different contraceptives will work for different people. If possible, talk to a doctor about what the best path is, and keep a look out for the best way to stay safe at a cheap price.