Photo provided by RGF Productions

“679” will be coming to the 607 this October when rapper Fetty Wap performs at the Binghamton University Events Center.

The Student Association Programming Board announced this Thursday that the Grammy-nominated artist will be headlining the 2016 fall concert.

Fetty Wap, born Willie Maxwell II, first rose to fame with his hit song “Trap Queen,” which reached No. 2 on the Billboard Hot 100 in 2015.

Despite having only released one major-label album, Fetty Wap has had eight songs on the Billboard Hot 100 since 2015.

His most recent single, which is titled “Free Gucci,” was released on Sept. 1.

The singer, who can also be credited with the hit song, “My Way,” will be joined by rapper and frequent collaborator Monty. Two other acts, who have yet to be disclosed, will also take the stage to open the fall concert.

The SAPB is continuing the trend of bringing hip-hop and rap artists to the Fall Concert, with Fetty Wap following in the footsteps of Big Sean, Trey Songz and J. Cole.

According to Max Maurice, the student association vice president of programming (VPP), “Hip-Hop/Rap” was the most preferred genre on the survey, garnering the most votes at 40 percent.
In second place came “Pop/Alternative” at 38.4 percent, with “EDM” trailing behind at 13.9 percent.

“Our choice for the first opener of the show reflects this,” said Maurice, a senior majoring in electrical engineering. “We looked into artists with sounds similar to those that performed well in the ‘Pop/Alternative’ section of the survey.”

And while “Hip-Hop/Rap” won as a genre, Fetty Wap was not actually an option on the survey.
“Due to how huge he is in pop culture right now, I didn’t want to put him on the survey because I wasn’t so confident we’d be able to secure him, both financially and availability-wise,” Maurice said.

But reflective of this popularity, Maurice says he received “a considerable amount of suggestions” for the artist.

Snoop Dogg was the most popular artist on the survey, receiving 58 percent “Dying to see!!” According to Maurice, this translates to 815 of the approximate 1,500 people who took the survey.

He says this is a high number of votes for a single artist.
While Snoop Dogg was within price range, this choice didn’t end up being feasible due to distance and availability.

“The fact that he wasn’t already touring and resides on the west coast was a huge factor into why we weren’t able to secure him,” Maurice said.

Still, Maurice is expecting a large turnout for this event, partially because of its switch from a weekday to a Friday night.

“Not only does it being on a weekend provide for more students and community members to have the availability to come to the show, but there was always a conflict with Thursday night labs during the fall concert, which will not be occurring this year,” Maurice said.

The VPP said he’s expecting the night to be quite lively.

“In advancing with his contact, we also anticipate the show will be a spectacle in terms of production and lighting to add to the overall vibe of the show,” he said.

Maurice also said he’s enthusiastic about the choice.

“Just the idea of over 3,000 concert-goers screaming the lyrics to ‘Trap Queen’ excites me,” Maurice said.

Tickets will be sold beginning on Sept. 28, with $25 student tickets and $35 general admission tickets.

The show will take place at the Events Center on Oct. 21, with doors opening at 6:30 p.m. and the show beginning at 8 p.m.

This article has been edited with new information.