Your college years are the most exciting years of your life. But as freshmen embark on this new stage in their life, what are they to expect? Students will rush to find their classes, enjoy the thrill of meeting new people and may even experience the inevitable drama of college life.

“The Life and Times of Elizabeth and the Duchess” by Etta King, a recent Binghamton alumna, is an excellent reference for incoming freshmen or transfer students. The novel is about two girls who embark on their freshmen year at Caspian University. Both girls share a love for fashion as well as a yearning for boys — one in particular.

The book starts off with the stress of leaving high school behind and getting ready for the move to college. It describes the process of checking in and becoming adjusted to dorm life in great detail and then moves on to college life, which King sums up fairly accurately.

The reader experiences college life, both the social and the academic aspects, through the eyes of two different individuals. She describes extracurricular activities like the school newspaper, Greek Life, the cute beta fish that are very common companions in college dorms, teacher assistant and resident assistant responsibilities, partying and the role sex plays in an individual’s life.

There are also certain noticeable similarities between Caspian University and Binghamton University. For instance, the girls experience an “All Knighter” one night, which seems very similar to Late Nite, a place for Binghamton students to go on campus on Friday and Saturday nights to have fun without drinking. Late Nite has everything from tricycle races to T-shirt design contests to the bowling alley.

King’s greatest asset throughout the entire novel is her masterful use of description. It helps the reader picture exactly what is going on, whether it’s an outfit the girls are picking out or a cute boy they’re checking out. She really thought through every aspect of her writing from the way characters talk to the way people dress to make her novel as realistic as possible.

She also delves into the biggest college challenge of all, dealing with your roommate. King’s past experiences helped her write this book, influencing certain scenes and situations throughout the piece.

King’s novel could be a huge asset to anyone new to college, but is also very entertaining for those who have already graduated or are currently enrolled. Fashion lovers will especially enjoy this book, as King focuses a lot of attention on the girls’ wardrobes, stockpiled with designers from Burberry to Jimmy Choo. “The Life and Times of Elizabeth and the Duchess” appeals to a wide audience as it is a quick read with some powerful insight into the lives of college students.

The book is available on www.amazon.com in paperback and on the Kindle, as well as on www.barnesandnoble.com on the NOOK. For more information on “The Life and Times of Elizabeth and the Duchess,” head to www.ettaking.com or check her out on Twitter: @Etta_King.