Kendall Loh / Photo Editor

Going out to eat often seems out of the question these days, especially with Family Weekend long gone and the average student’s bank statement indicating not to. Yet in the past few months, Binghamton has become home to two brand-new buffets that are both affordable and delectable. These two restaurants are extremely different, so whether you’re looking for a family dining atmosphere and a homemade meal or a cruise ship-style, all-you-can-eat experience, you can have a night out without sacrificing your paycheck.

As the winter weather slowly creeps toward the Triple Cities region, it may seem that all you want is a warm homemade meal. Yes, Sodexo sandwiches and the occasional Hot Pocket are valid sustenance, but they don’t match up to your mom’s famous chicken. Opened recently on 117 Court St., Mediterranean Garden Buffet offers a friendly environment and homestyle food at an affordable price. This brand-new establishment offers the best of Turkish, Greek and Italian culture and is conveniently located a bus stop away (just blocks from the University Downtown Center).

Walking in, you can expect to be greeted by a friendly staff and seated in what feels like a larger version of a home dining room. The business is family-owned, and it shows through everything from the decor to the dessert. Mediterranean Garden has a variety of soups and starters, a salad bar and a large selection of entrees. Featuring delicious shish kebabs and meatloaf, it has exactly what you’d expect from a Mediterranean buffet and then some. The more culturally curious should definitely check out the Turkish pizza, pita bread topped with meat and sauce, inspired by the cheesy classic.

“It was a warm, friendly environment, and I was surprised by how many vegetarian and vegan options they offered,” said Lindsay Gilmore, an undeclared freshman. “I’m looking forward to going back and having their delicious food.”

Among these vegetarian friendly options are chickpeas, rice, vegetable patties and pita with hummus. The dessert selection features various pastries, cakes and creme brulee to finish your meal with a sweet ending. Before leaving, make sure to try their Turkish tea. Served in beautiful glasses, it’s made the traditional way using a caydanlik, a type of kettle used specifically for making tea. Here you can have a full dinner and soup for only $6.99, and you get more than your money’s worth. Many restaurants come and go, but through its warm food and even warmer atmosphere, this one definitely has staying power.

Back in Vestal, the Town Square Mall is now home to Hibachi Grill & Sushi Supreme Buffet. The restaurant opened in June and definitely lives up to its name.

When you first step inside, it’s hard to miss the beautiful decoration that’s unusual for most restaurants of its kind. A giant crystal chandelier is surrounded by tricolored lights around the ceiling, large rows of food take the center of the room and to the left is a spacious dining center, a sushi bar and a hibachi station.

For $6.99 during lunch and $9.99 during dinner and on Sundays, you can get unlimited lo mein, broccoli and beef, egg drop and wonton soup, sushi, fried rice and more. The sushi selection is large and unique, and if you don’t see what you want you can order something specific. While it isn’t the best sushi in New York, for the price and portion size, it’s completely worth it. Dessert options include Jell-O, fruit, ice cream and pastries.

“The restaurant was beautiful, and there was a large variety of food. I particularly enjoyed the vegetable lo mein, and I highly recommend it,” said Emma Klainberg, an undeclared freshman.

Whether you’ve got a meeting, a date or you just aren’t in the mood for dining hall food, these two new buffets are sure to fill you up without emptying your pockets. Mediterranean Garden Buffet is located on 117 Court St. and is open from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday through Saturday. Hibachi Grill & Sushi Supreme Buffet is located in the Town Square Mall and is open from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. Sunday through Thursday and 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. on Friday and Saturday.