An inspiring start and a poor finish.

That was the story of the Binghamton University softball team’s weekend at the Florida Gulf Coast Tournament. The Bearcats (2-3) swept Friday’s back-to-back games against Boston College and the University of Delaware but proceeded to lose to the University of Tennessee at Martin, Saint Louis University and Florida Gulf Coast University on Saturday and Sunday.

Behind a gem by junior pitcher Rhoda Marsteller, the Bearcats defeated Boston College 2-0 in their tournament (and season) opener. Marsteller surrendered just two hits and as many walks while going the distance and recording five strikeouts.

While the Binghamton offense didn’t come out with the same firepower, mustering just two hits all game, it capitalized in the third and fourth innings. Senior infielder Briana Andrews delivered an RBI single in the third, knocking in sophomore Chelsey Locatell. Junior outfielder Jessica Phillips, last year’s America East Co-Player of the Year, scored on a wild pitch in the fourth.

In the next game, Binghamton’s bats awoke from their winter slumber, bashing 14 hits and scoring eight runs against Delaware. Freshman infielder Caytlin Friis and sophomores Mikala King, Demi Laney and Locatell hit a combined 12-for-17 with seven RBI. Locatell’s three-run homer in the fifth inning gave the Bearcats a 4-0 cushion.

Binghamton head coach Michelle Burrell said she was pleased with the performances of her underclassmen.

“I think our young players did a great job, and it definitely showed [that] the experience that our sophomore class now has is definitely going to help us this year,” she said.

The tremendous offensive output was supported by another dominant Bearcat pitching performance, this one by Laney. The sophomore allowed four hits and fanned eight Blue Hens en route to a complete game shutout.

The Bearcats won 8-0.

“That first day Rhoda and Demi both just did an excellent job on the mound,” Burrell said. “I thought it was great that they both came out and threw full games for us, so I think we just need to look to be able to do that the second day out.”

In Saturday morning’s game, Binghamton fell into an early hole as Marsteller gave up five hits and four runs in the second inning against Tennessee-Martin.

Junior pitcher Kate Price relieved Marsteller in the third inning and kept Binghamton in the game by allowing just one run over the next four innings, but the Skyhawks scored four runs in the seventh to hold on for the 7-4 win.

King recorded another two hits and as many RBI for the Bearcats, and senior outfielder Meghan Tucker also tallied two hits and an RBI.

In the afternoon game against Saint Louis, Binghamton fell down early again. Laney surrendered a leadoff double in the second inning, and Saint Louis junior Alyson Brand homered with one out, giving the Billikens a quick 2-0 lead.

Phillips answered with an RBI single in the third, and Friis delivered a game-tying RBI single in the fourth. Saint Louis regained a lead it would not relinquish in the bottom of the fourth, however, capitalizing on Andrews’ throwing error to score two unearned runs off senior pitcher Kristen Emerling.

Binghamton had a chance to tie the game in the top of the seventh when Phillips walked, Tucker reached on a hit-by-pitch and, with two outs, sophomore infielder Jessica Bump doubled in a run. Unfortunately for the Bearcats, though, Locatell popped out to end the game.

The Billikens defeated the Bearcats 4-3.

On Sunday, host Florida Gulf Coast used a seven-run fifth inning to topple the Bearcats 10-2 in the tournament finale. Locatell’s two-run single had just brought Binghamton within one run in the fifth, but three Bearcat errors in the bottom half led to the Eagles’ surge.

“I think we were disappointed only because we knew we gave away runs, especially in the Saint Louis game and the Florida Gulf Coast game,” Burrell said. “I think if we had played our game and played the way we’re capable of, those games could have very easily gone the other way.”

Overall, Friis (.429 batting average), King (.412 BA, 4 RBI) and Locatell (1 home run, 6 RBI) led the offense throughout the tournament. Friis was named the America East Rookie of the Week for her performance.

Phillips, who had a team-best .435 average last year, recorded two hits in 10 at-bats, but reached base at a .579 clip.

The Bearcats are set to return to action on March 2, when they head to Texas Tech University for the Jeannine McHaney Memorial Classic.

Binghamton’s first of five games is scheduled for 10:30 a.m. against the University of Texas at Arlington.