After spending one year with the Binghamton men’s basketball team, junior forward Brian Freeman has decided to transfer to Bowie State, a Division II school in Bowie, Md., about 30 minutes from Freeman’s hometown, Clinton.

Freeman, who does not plan on signing his National Letter of Intent (NLI) until he graduates from Binghamton University in May, told Pipe Dream that he verbally committed to the Bulldogs on Wednesday.

Bowie State head coach Darrell Brooks could not comment because Freeman has not officially signed his NLI, and Binghamton head coach Tommy Dempsey said he would not comment.

NCAA rules prevented Freeman from transferring to another Division I school, as the athletic forward has already played for two Division I programs — Fordham and Binghamton. Only student-athletes who obtain a hardship waiver can transfer within Division I twice.

Freeman can, however, play immediately at Bowie State in his last year of collegiate eligibility.

“Next year I plan on being the best player that I can be, even at the D-II level,” Freeman said in a Facebook message. “The motivation for me to prove myself knowing the NCAA will not permit me to attend another D-I [school] is all I need to make everybody a believer.”

The departure of Freeman, who averaged 4.4 points and 2.9 rebounds per game for the Bearcats, affords Binghamton one more scholarship for 2013-14.