Hey there, incoming freshmen! First off, welcome to Binghamton University. The easy part is over; you got in. Now comes the hard part: making the most of it. You already know the official information from the school, but you’ll need a little more knowledge to make sure your first semester is as productive and fun as possible. Here’s some advice that seniors wish they knew the first time they set foot on The Brain.

Pick up a craft or hobby

Looking back on the years of living in dorm rooms and suites, you’ll realize how much time is spent sitting around with friends doing nothing. This is the perfect time to learn some kind of craft. It can be cheap, relaxing and can even make your friends jealous — picture the looks on their faces when they see you have a cross-stitch sampler of Michael Cera hanging on your wall.

Be careful of how many listservs you sign up for

Your first weekend living on campus is a great time to make mistakes, but this is one that can be avoided. When you’re walking around at University Fest and see all of the clubs tabling, don’t fall into the trap. They’ll be friendly and tell you to sign up for their listserv so you’ll know when meetings and events are. Chances are you won’t be involved in all the clubs you sign up for but you’ll still be getting emails from them even after you graduate. Take it slow and sign up for the things you think you’ll actually stick with. If you want to branch out later on in the semester, just check B-Line every morning to see what clubs are meeting that day.

Go to as many GIMs as possible

Even if you don’t sign up for every listserv, you should explore as many clubs as possible during General Interest Meeting (GIM) week. There are more than 200 clubs on campus, and while your workload is still light, try exploring your different interests. Whether it’s doing improv comedy with the Pappy Parker Players, helping create positive change at the University through the Student Association or mastering your writing skills at the best college newspaper there is, you’re bound to find something you like. Many of the clubs have free pizza at their GIMs, so even if you end up hating the club, at least you’ll get a free meal.

Get an on-campus job ASAP

You might have just worked the entire summer and are looking to relax your first semester, but if you think you’ll eventually need a job at school, the earlier you apply, the better. On-campus jobs at the call center, bookstore or as a tour guide are great ways to make some money during the year. You’ll be able to roll out of bed and go straight to work and it’ll look great on a resume later. Remember that most of these jobs require you to have about three semesters left at a minimum for you to even be considered, so get on it.

Do things Downtown that aren’t just drinking alcohol

When you ask most students why they’re going Downtown, the words “State Street” will probably be involved in their response. Of course, State Street is fun, but know that Binghamton has a lot more to offer. The First Friday Art Walk offers a large list of free art galleries, music shows and other entertainment on the first Friday of every month. If sports are your thing, you can score cheap tickets to a Binghamton Mets baseball game or the Binghamton Senators hockey club. Plus, many of Binghamton’s off-State Street bars and venues have small concerts and open mics that many people don’t know about.

Stay safe

The number for Harpur’s Ferry, the on-campus volunteer ambulance service, is (607) 777-3333. You never know when you’ll need it.

Make sure you take the time to enjoy yourself because before you know it, you’ll be a senior on the cusp of the real world wishing you could turn back time.