An influential department on campus has been recognized for its innovation and research productivity. Along with this recognition comes $10 million in New York state research funding over the next 10 years.

After a competitive application process, the Integrated Electronics Engineering Center (IEEC) in the Innovative Technologies Complex (ITC) was re-certified as a New York State Center for Advanced Technology (CAT) for the second time in 10 years. This designation opens up eligibility for state funding for the electronics research facility — in this case $10 million — through the New York State Office of Science, Technology and Academic Research (NYSTAR).

Daryl Santos, the director of the IEEC, points to the economic impact on partner companies as a significant reason for Binghamton University being chosen again for this funding — BU conducts research with partner corporations’ money and then helps them install that technology and other technology, which creates revenue.

“Since around 1996, NYSTAR has asked us to demonstrate success in working with companies,” Santos wrote in an email. “Since we first started this accounting, to date, this economic impact is in excess of $1B USD.”

The IEEC’s research focuses on electronics packaging, which refers to the protective features and casings on electrical devices, among other things. The IEEC’s specific focus is on the reliability and characterization of electronic devices, which entails a method of ensuring all the electronic components have proper air flow, called systems cooling, as well as researching new materials.

“Our focus in electronics is due, in large part, to the strong [research and development] history of IBM and other electronics companies in our region,” Santos explained.

Some projects currently taking place at the IEEC include research into nano-materials for use in high-temperature electronics applications, medical electronic devices and printed electronics. Through partnerships with private industry, the IEEC helps implement these technologies in manufacturing settings.

The IEEC is a significant contributor to the overall research community at the University. Approximately 500 students have received funding and research experience from the IEEC for electronics research projects, many of which have been published in academic journals.

“Undergraduate and graduate students from several disciplines immerse themselves in research with direct applications to private companies and make connections that spark discoveries while advancing their careers,” Santos said in a press release.

This recently granted NYSTAR money is not designated for any specific project, but instead available through application to faculty and research scientists interested in pursuing their own projects and will be dispersed over 10 years.

The University administration has reacted to the renewal of the CAT designation as a symbol of BU’s increasing impact as a research institution.

“We are delighted to once again be recognized for the work conducted by our IEEC and all of its private-sector partners,” BU President Harvey Stenger said in a press release. “This is yet another confirmation of the important work being done here on campus in collaboration with industry.”

The larger Southern Tier community also stands to benefit from these ties with industries that have historical roots in Binghamton. Assemblywoman Donna Lupardo reacted to the news positively, praising the public-private partnerships that the IEEC facilitates.

“Binghamton University is once again being recognized as an outstanding research institution and the CAT designation is a well-deserved award,” Lupardo said in a press release. “Private industry working alongside University researchers is the best way to advance products and processes that will have a positive impact on society. Getting new, in-demand products manufactured and to the marketplace faster is the best way to grow our economy and stimulate job growth.”