John Babich/Pipe Dream Photo Eugene Tettey-Fio, associate professor of geography, speaks at Florence Margai’s tribute in the Anderson Center. The tribute, titled “Celebration of Life,” saw nearly 100 people gather in the Chamber Hall to remember the recently deceased professor.

Nearly 100 people gathered Monday in the Anderson Center for “Celebration of Life,” a tribute dedicated to Harpur College associate dean and geography professor Florence Margai, who passed away Jan. 8.

Along with performances by the Binghamtonics, Nukporfe African Dance group and Binghamton University Gospel Choir, 11 close family members, colleagues and friends came on stage to speak about and dedicate the memory of Margai.

Margai’s accomplishments spanned areas of academics and community service, both in Broome County and internationally. In her two decades at Binghamton University she became chair of the geography department and eventually the associate dean of Harpur College. She also led efforts to address food insecurity in Binghamton, environmental hazards and ethnic health disparities on a global scale.

According to Harpur Dean Anne McCall, Margai was recently elected as a council member for the Association of American Geographers, a national forum for geographical studies.

“All of these represent remarkable achievements and accomplishments over a relatively short 20-year time span,” said Norah Henry, associate professor and chair of geography department. “But there are other ways to measure achievement. Florence touched lives, and that is an enduring legacy.”

Lea Webb, the diversity specialist at Binghamton University and a Binghamton city council member, said that Margai helped many people through a variety of outreach projects, including her work with the Food Bank of the Southern Tier.

“One of the most amazing things of Florence is that she knew how to think locally and globally at the same time,” Webb said.

According to Eugene Tettey-Fio, Binghamton University associate geography professor, Margai always led by example in her work and studies.

“She always tried to perfect her techniques,” he said. “Florence’s professional work created footprints in the discipline of geography that is followed by both her colleagues and students.”

Margai influenced many of her friends and family as well. Mary Okpewho, a senior financial aid counselor at BU, recalled how she had befriended Margai when she joined the BU geography department in 1994. Okpewho described the long walks and chats she had with Margai through the decades of their friendship.

“I still can’t believe she’s no longer here with us,” Okpewho said. “She’ll be missed dearly by anyone who had a conversation with her, especially those who were close with her. I will miss her profoundly, she was as much a sister as my best friend.”

Alberta Momoh, Margai’s sister, said that Margai had a large impact on their whole family.

“Florence had the ability to create a robust and compelling vision and present it to inspire people,” Momoh said. “She always sought the perspective of others before giving her own thoughts, even among her siblings.”

Other family members in attendance included another sister, Margai’s mother, husband and two daughters.

Leshatho Moshakga, one of Margai’s geography graduate students, said that it was Margai who convinced him to come to Binghamton University from Botswana.

“She’s like a mother to me, rather than an adviser,” he said. “I will miss her, I love her a lot.”