Gym-goers now have a temporary chance to jog, bike and climb stairs, in order to comment on which piece of equipment they want to see permanently in the East Gym FitSpace.

In a trial that began on Nov. 3 and will continue until finals week, the East Gym will have three new cardio machines for students to test every two weeks. Users can then fill out a comment card to argue for which machine Campus Recreation should buy for next semester. Gym staff will consider replacement part costs and service agreements, but will ultimately rely on student feedback and votes to make the decision.

Until Monday, two of the machines were updated versions of stationary bikes and treadmills that the gym already has. The third machine was a StairMaster, which the FitSpace previously did not have.

The Cybex 770T Treadmill has added handlebars and a touchscreen, with almost all of the buttons on the digital screen. The Schwinn Spin Indoor Cycling Bike has a forearm rest and allows users to shift the seat and handlebars forward and back, which the existing bikes do not. However, there is no digital screen like on older models.

The StepMill 3 model by StairMaster allows users to walk as if they were going up and down stairs with a six-inch-high step. As of Friday night, 71 people had voted, 60 of them choosing the StairMaster as their favorite piece, while only seven preferred the Schwinn Spin Bike and four wanted the new 770T Cybex Treadmill. The three machines will be replaced with new options later this week.

“If there’s an opportunity to switch something out so that we can get greater usage, [we’ll take it],” said Cindy Cowden, associate director of Facilities and Internal Operations. “You don’t want a dead piece sitting on the floor taking up real estate that could be used.”

Each type of equipment at the gym has its own warranty for service and repairs, but the FitSpace is on a three-year plan with manufacturers and after next semester the cost of maintenance will be the gym’s responsibility. Therefore, during the summer, older machines will be returned to the manufacturers for savings on the new models, which will have new warranties with them.

“I can say without a doubt that all the treadmills that we currently have will get traded out just because they get so many miles on them,” Cowden said. “We want to keep them in that three-year replacement cycle.”

Gym administrators have not determined exactly how many machines they will purchase or how much they will cost, but according to Cowden there will also be some non-cardio equipment upgrades in FitSpace during the winter break. Though Cowden said the numbers were subject to change, the costs are estimated to be between three and five hundred thousand dollars.

According to Alexa Francisco, FitSpace manager, having more variety of equipment keeps workouts interesting.

“You get sick of the same old things,” Francisco said. “You want a change, you want new variety, try something new, get a new workout and have fun. You’re overall happier and healthier.”

Taesung Kim, a personal trainer and a junior majoring in integrative neuroscience, said that he assumes the StepMill is the most popular of the three because it is something the gym does not currently have.

“I’ve yet to see someone not on the stair master, let’s put it that way,” Kim said. “From a personal trainer’s point of view, it’s good to have alternatives because not everyone is the same, some prefer certain workouts and I think not only is it fun but it’s a good cardiovascular and muscle toning workout.”

Other students agreed that the new machine was a good change. Xinyuan Wang, a junior majoring in computer science, tried the StepMill for the first time and said that she felt like she was climbing outside.

“It was like I was climbing a mountain, and I liked that,” Wang said. “It’s different, but I think it will be a good choice for them to buy.”