Matt Dernlan has been suspended by the University for two weeks without pay.

Following his March 22 arrest in Des Moines, Iowa, Binghamton wrestling head coach Matt Dernlan has been suspended by the University for two weeks without pay, according to a statement released by the Athletics Department Wednesday afternoon.

Police stopped Dernlan, who had brought four Binghamton wrestlers to the NCAA Championships in Des Moines, as he was walking to his hotel late Friday night, and arrested him for disorderly conduct and public intoxication. Dernlan pleaded guilty to the charges and paid a $65 fine.

Binghamton Athletics Director Patrick Elliott said Dernlan will face further departmental actions in addition to the suspension.

“We hold our coaches and staff to a very high standard and we expect them to represent the University appropriately,” Elliott said. “I am very disappointed in Coach Dernlan’s actions.”

Dernlan, who was hired last May as Pat Popolizio’s replacement, apologized and accepted “full responsibility” for his actions.

“This is not consistent with my character,” Dernlan said, “and I will work hard to grow and become a better leader and representative of Binghamton University.”

Earlier on Friday, senior 149-pound Donnie Vinson fell one win short of earning All-America honors at the championship for the second-straight year.

Senior 197-pound Nate Schiedel, senior 133-pound Derek Steeley and junior 184-pound Cody Reed had already been eliminated as Vinson hit the mat for the last time as a Bearcat.