David Katz/Staff Photographer One of the bright spots in an 8-7 loss to Siena was senior first baseman Stephanie DeLuca?s sixth-inning grand slam.

The Binghamton University softball team showed off its offensive skills this week, as it tallied a total of 13 runs in a split of its non-conference doubleheader with Siena College this past Wednesday.

The Bearcats (12-9, 3-0 America East) took the first game of the day 6-2, but fell to the hosting Saints 8-7 in the nightcap.

Siena struck first in the opening game, as a sacrifice fly by sophomore Shannon Jones drove in a run to make it 1-0 Siena. But Binghamton came back in the top of the third when sophomore Jessica Phillips singled home two runs and advanced to second on a steal. Phillips, who entered the doubleheader boasting a .500 average, went a combined 5-for-6 in the two games, with three RBIs and three runs scored.

“She’s been consistent all year long,” BU head coach Michelle Burrell said of Phillips. “And she’s done a good job not only hitting for power and making contact, but also with her pitch selection and having all-around good at-bats.”

The Bearcats subsequently made it 3-1 when senior catcher Deannie Plemon doubled home Phillips.

Binghamton kept at it, scoring an insurance run in the fourth inning off a single by junior Meghan Tucker, followed by a massive solo shot by freshman Anna Blessing in the sixth, her third home run of the season. In the bottom of the frame, the Saints got a run back off a homer by Jones. However, the Bearcats struck one last time in the seventh, when Plemon singled home sophomore Shannon Kane to make the final score 6-2.

Junior pitcher Kristen Emerling had a solid game, going four innings with one run on four hits and a strikeout, improving her record to 5-2 for the season. Freshman pitcher Demi Laney picked up her first collegiate save, going the final three innings, allowing one run on two hits while fanning three.

Later that evening the Bearcats took to the field again, though this time fell short after battling back from a seven-run deficit. Siena opened the scoring once again, on an RBI double by Jones. The Bearcats fought back though, and in the top of the third a triple by Kane brought around Tucker to tie the game at 1-1. However, Siena broke the game open in the bottom of the frame when an error by freshman shortstop Jessica Bump allowed two unearned runs to score. The Saints then capitalized further on a two-run single by first baseman Kayla Kaminsky, increasing their lead to 5-1.

Burrell then made a call to the bullpen and brought in sophomore Kate Price for sophomore starter Rhoda Marsteller in the bottom of the fifth. However, the Saints continued their onslaught as they rattled off another three runs, highlighted by a two-run homer by Jones to make the game 8-1.

But the Bearcats did not go down quietly. The top of the sixth inning saw a complete turnaround for Binghamton, as they cut Siena’s lead to two runs. The inning alone saw five runs, all with two outs. BU tallied four hits, including the first-ever career grand slam for senior Stephanie DeLuca, her third home run on the season, followed by an RBI single by Meghan Tucker, making the score 8-6.

Throughout the rally, BU’s mental toughness and drive were qualities far from unfamiliar to coach Burrell.

“I knew we had the ability to come back and score a lot of runs,” she said. “We got runners on base and [DeLuca] did a great job. We make sure we play every inning and never give up. They did a good job making sure they played all seven innings, and not burying themselves even after a bad inning.”

The bottom of the sixth inning was business as usual as junior pitcher Colleen Whitaker and the Bearcat defense held the score to give the team a chance to win. In the top of the seventh, Binghamton struck again, as Phillips rapped a solo shot, her team-best 10th of the season, cutting Siena’s lead to 8-7. However, following the Phillips homer, the Bearcats were unable to capitalize on a double by Plemon, ending the game 8-7.

The totaled efforts of the Bearcat pitching staff were eight runs on nine hits, with three walks and two strikeouts.

However, with their bye weekend in the books, the Bearcats are looking forward to getting back into conference play this weekend.

“We’re looking forward to getting out on the field and having a good practice,” Burrell said. “The weather is looking nice, so we are definitely looking forward to this series; it should be a good one.”

Binghamton is set to host a three-game series against University at Albany this weekend, with a doubleheader scheduled for 1 p.m. tomorrow. The final game of the series will be played at noon on Sunday.