AP Photo/Tony Gutierrez Memphis Grizzlies' Tyreke Evans (12) celebrates sinking a three-point basket against the Dallas Mavericks during an NBA basketball game, Wednesday, Oct. 25, 2017, in Dallas.

Point Guard

Mike James (PHX): With Suns head coach Earl Watson relieved of his duties a mere three games into the season, and point guard Eric Bledsoe tweeting that he would rather be elsewhere, James could not be in a better position to showcase his talent. Since Watson’s departure, interim head coach Jay Triano seems to have relatively turned the organization around, guiding the team to a respectable 4-5 record in a tough Western Conference (prior to a Sunday night showdown with the San Antonio Spurs). James has undeniably succeeded in his new starting role, posting five or more assists in his last three contests before Sunday’s matchup. Although he may not be a high-scoring option, the dimes are certainly there, as well as an above-average free throw percentage.

Shooting Guard
Donovan Mitchell (UTA): The combo guard from the University of Louisville has thrived in his newfound role alongside point guard Ricky Rubio. Despite averaging only 13.1 points, excluding the game against Houston, Mitchell has exploded for over 20 points three times this season. Mitchell appears to be a necessary spark for a lowly Utah Jazz offense recovering from the departure of small forward Gordon Hayward. Mitchell is logging almost 25 minutes per game, while contributing close to two 3-pointers and hovering around one steal per contest. Given the consistent minutes and both the offensive and defensive outputs, Mitchell is a must-own and in must-start territory.

Small Forward

Tyreke Evans (MEM): The former Rookie of the Year, and unofficial candidate for most injury-prone player, has been thriving for the Memphis Grizzlies. Even though Evans began his 2017-18 season slowly, he has unquestionably picked up his play recently. Over his past five games, not including Sunday’s meeting with the Los Angeles Lakers, Evans has averaged an efficient 20.8 points as he puts forth his best 3-point season of his career. As of Sunday afternoon, Evans is cashing in on two deep balls per contest to go along with 5.6 rebounds per game. With small forward Chandler Parsons on a hefty minutes restriction, look for Evans to continue to be a focal point of the Grizzlies’ offense.

Power Forward

Luc Mbah a Moute (HOU): With a short list of available succeeding power forwards, Mbah a Moute emerges as a decent option for fantasy owners seeking help in their defensive categories. Prior to his matchup with the Jazz Sunday evening, Mbah a Moute has already collected 13 steals and seven blocks on the year. Additionally, he is currently matching his career-best 3-point average (.9 per game) and is slightly below his career-best points per game (9.3). With the Houston Rockets’ offense centered around point guard James Harden, Mbah a Moute is by no means a must-own or must-start player; however, his value on the defensive end could certainly be enough to win close matchups in the steals and blocks categories.

Center

Taj Gibson (MIN): At this point, Gibson certainly appears to be Timberwolves head coach Tom Thibodeau’s favorite to start at the four. Alongside center Karl-Anthony Towns, Gibson has been a solid option in the categories of field-goal percentage, boards and free-throw percentage (perfect from the line prior to his game against the Charlotte Hornets on Sunday). Not only has he succeeded with his new team, but Gibson has also outplayed fellow center Gorgui Dieng. Although Gibson posts a modest stat line on most nights, he is worth owning in deeper leagues with his starting role. The seasoned veteran developed his game as a member of the Chicago Bulls under Thibodeau and is undoubtedly experiencing well-earned favoritism out in Minnesota.