Entering the third week of the season, the Binghamton University baseball team (0-3) will head to University of Arkansas this weekend still in search of its first win.

Due to last weekend’s rainouts at Norfolk State University, the Bearcats have played only three games thus far, significantly fewer than most Division I teams. In the America East, Stony Brook University has already played eight games and boasts the best nonconference record in the league (5-3), while the University of Maine has played 10 games and has a record of 4-6.

But regardless of their record, the Bearcats will need to play nearly flawless baseball in order to pick up any wins this weekend.

Binghamton will have its hands full this weekend as they travel to Arkansas to take on the No. 7 Razorbacks in a three-game series. Arkansas boasts an impressive record of 11-2 and has recently come off a tough 7-3 victory over No. 21 University of Texas.

Starting pitcher D.J. Baxendale won his fourth game in as many starts, letting up two runs, only one earned, and striking out four through five innings. Sophomore Nolan Sanburn came out of the bullpen for two innings and gave up one run on four hits before being relieved by classmate Barrett Astin. Astin retired all six batters he faced while striking out four and earning his third save of the season.

Baxendale has a 2.12 ERA over 17 innings, allowing only 12 hits and recording 14 strikeouts.

Arkansas ace sophomore Ryne Stanek is another asset on the mound for the Razorbacks, leading the team with a 1.59 ERA and 15 strikeouts. He is a perfect 3-0 on the season and has let up 15 hits in 17 innings.

Arkansas is not only a threat from the mound, but at the plate as well.

Senior shortstop Tim Carver will be a force to contend with this weekend with a batting average of .444 (16-for-36) on the season. He has recorded nine RBI thus far with an on-base percentage of .500 and seven stolen bases.

Starting third baseman junior Matt Reynolds also has the potential to give the Bearcats some trouble. Reynolds boasts a .409 (18-for-44) batting average with five doubles, two home runs and 10 RBI. He is also very patient at the plate, leading the team in walks (11), with a .526 on-base percentage and a perfect 4-4 in stolen bases.

Although the Razorbacks are one of the nation’s top teams, the Bearcats maintain a powerful lineup as well. They have two first-team all-conference picks in senior starting pitcher Mike Augliera and senior first baseman Dave Ciocchi, as well as a pair of last year’s all-rookie selections in shortstop John Howell and outfielder Bill Bereszniewicz.

Binghamton will have to go into the three game series this weekend with a strong and optimistic mindset. Although winning at Arkansas will be a challenge, winning on the road is something the Bearcats will have to get used to due to the construction of the fields on campus that will last through the entire 2012 season.

The first game is set to begin at 4 p.m Friday at Baum Stadium in Arkansas.