When it was all said and done, it was the basics that did in the Binghamton University women’s basketball team.

The Bearcats blew a handful of layups and converted on only 6-of-14 free throws and 1-of-13 3-pointers en route to a 62-49 loss to conference-leading Boston University.

Binghamton (11-13, 5-6 America East) led 31-30 with 12 minutes left to play, but Boston junior guard Mo Moran, who finished with 19 points, six rebounds and four assists, drained a 3-point basket that sparked a 10-0 run by the Terriers (17-6, 10-0 AE). From there, Binghamton got as close as 45-39 with 7:57 remaining, but Moran fueled another Boston run that doused Binghamton’s hopes.

“Obviously a frustrating loss, especially when we’re right there with them at the end of the half,” Binghamton head coach Nicole Scholl said. “A few too many missed free throws, too many missed layups and a couple of things that didn’t go our way. But defensively, I think we played well for the most part and this is a team that I really still feel like we can beat. I really hope we see them again come tournament time.”

Throughout the first half, Binghamton was able to match Boston’s intensity level and did not allow the Terriers to create any significant separation. But with time running out in the half, a 3-point basket from Moran to break a 21-21 tie ignited the Terriers as they went into the locker room. The Bearcats’ energy faltered in the second half, and in a game of shifting momentums and quick spurts, that would prove to be the deciding factor.

“I think that was our downfall,” senior guard Andrea Holmes said. “We didn’t come out with the same intensity and we didn’t match Boston’s intensity. I think they came out a little bit more ready to go than we did in the second half.”

Holmes scored 15 of her 23 points in the second half and it seemed like the Bearcats were comfortable having the offense run through her.

“I think it’s my job to run the team and I think in the second half that’s just what I was trying to do,” Holmes said. “I just took the shots that came to me. I think my teammates set me up really well and they made really good passes and put me in spots where I could be successful so I think that’s why I got a chance to put up a lot of points in the second half.”

Foul trouble forced both Holmes and senior forward Viive Rebane to be less aggressive down the stretch.

“It makes a big difference,” Scholl said. “There was a little stretch where Viive wasn’t on the floor and that made a difference for us and Andrea not being as aggressive as normal, that makes a difference. That’s the difference between Andrea having to shoot a pull-up jumper compared to her maybe getting to the rim and getting to the foul line. Same thing with Viive, especially on the defensive end.”

Rebane finished with eight points and 12 rebounds and sophomore guard Jasbriell Swain added seven points and 13 rebounds.

Binghamton is now in sixth place in the America East conference. With only five conference games left before the conference tournament in early March, every game becomes crucial for seeding.

The Bearcats are set to conclude their three-game home stand tomorrow when they host the University of Vermont. With a 3-8 conference record, the Catamounts sit in eighth place in the America East, only one spot ahead of last-place Stony Brook University.

“I think you just have to come out focused every game,” Rebane said about the team’s remaining schedule. “It’s all about focusing on the next game plan and adjusting to the next team. Just take it one at a time and really try to step up your game.”

Tipoff is scheduled for 7 p.m. tomorrow at the Events Center.