The Binghamton University cross country teams opened their seasons this weekend, travelling to nearby Ithaca for the Cornell University Tri-Meet.

Both the men and women competed in the three-team event, running against the Big Red and the Army Black Knights Friday afternoon at the Maukley Course. The BU men and women both finished in third place.

The men were led by freshman Collin Frost, who placed ninth, finishing the 8,000-meter course in 27:01.

Junior Jason Santos finished in 15th with a time of 27:17, while sophomore Chris Fernandez crossed the line in 19th place (27:28). Freshman Jesse Garn finished 21st and freshman Cal Michaels finished 23rd.

Junior Vasili Papastrat finished in 25th place (27:45) while freshman Matt Johnson finished in 27th (27:52). Freshman Jared Rousell crossed the line in 30th place (27:59), sophomore Adam VanVleck in 34th place (28:11) and sophomore Calvin Davis in 40th (28:45).

On the women’s side, Caitlin Jelinek crossed the line first for the Bearcats, finishing the 5,000-meter course with a time of 19:16 to finish in 11th place overall. With a time of 19:53, graduate student Ashley Horton finished in 23rd.

Sophomore Kelly Abbate finished in 32nd place with a time of 20:21, and junior Abigail Elliott finished in 41st (21:12). Sophomore Carly Kiess finished in 42nd (21:23), freshman Jessica Falcon in 49th (22:05) and freshman Victoria Dearing finished in 52nd (22:52).

Cornell’s runners took first, second and third place on the women’s side and first and second place on the men’s side. Sophomore Max Groves led the men with his time of 26:23, while junior Katie Kellner’s time of 17:56 earned her the top spot in the women’s race.

The team is set to travel to Lehigh University this weekend to take part in the Lehigh Paul Short Run. The event is scheduled to start at 11 a.m. this Friday.