Junior center Alyssa James.

She may not be 7 feet tall or wear the number 33 on her chest, like her Hall-of-Famer uncle Patrick Ewing, but Alyssa James made quite an impact in her first season on the court for the Binghamton women’s basketball team in 2015-16. This season the 6-foot-1-inch junior center out of Rosedale, New York hopes to lead BU to an America East (AE) Championship and more.

The stat-sheet stuffer posted an accolade-filled sophomore campaign that led BU to a respectable 8-8 AE record, despite the fact that the Bearcats were picked to finish last in the AE in the preseason poll. Instead, BU tied for third place and advanced to the conference semifinals for the first time since 2012.

“For me, it doesn’t matter if we are ranked last, first, second or whatever,” James said. “I’m going to hope that everyone plays as hard as they can and hope that we can win the championship, even if we are in last, dead last or lose every game. I’m going to still have that confidence to go at it and win a championship.”

Recognized for her ability to block shots and clean up the glass, James was named the AE Defensive Player of the Year last season. She ranked first in the conference and No. 15 in the country with 2.97 blocks per game.

James set an AE record for most blocks in a single season at 92 while averaging 14.4 points, 7.7 rebounds and 1.7 steals per game in 2015-16. Her ability to anchor the defense and crash the boards leaves guards thinking twice before entering the paint.

“I definitely think our defense is getting a little better,” James said. “We always have to work on things and especially having Payton [Husson] down there — she’s [6 -foot-4] and doesn’t even have to be a good defender; all she has to do is take up space.”

The acquisition of freshman center Payton Husson will undoubtedly help James carry the defensive and rebounding load. Husson was a two-time all-state selection, and at 6-foot-4 she is the tallest player since BU transitioned to Division I in 2001. Her presence in practice and training camp has allowed James to work on her ability to guard someone who has three inches on her.

“I love that we have Payton [Husson] now,” James said. “I’ve never had someone to play against that’s this big on my own team, so she’s definitely helping me get better.”

James’ play goes beyond her abilities to rebound and defend. She attributes much of her success to her personal relationship with BU head coach Linda Cimino, who coached James at Caldwell University. At the conclusion of last season, Cimino was named the AE Women’s Basketball Coach of the Year in her second season at the helm.

“[Cimino’s] pushed us since day one, since we were ranked eighth to now,” James said. “She’s always giving a boost no matter what. No matter in the back of her head, she thinks we’re going to win or not, she doesn’t show it on her face. And she tells us to be the best that we can.”

The Bearcats will seek to dominate post-play and display an intimidating interior defensive frontcourt and will be sure to lean on James’ prowess on both sides of the court.