Emily Earl/Pipe Dream Photographer Sophomore outside hitter Gaby Alicea is averaging 2.34 kills per set this season.

The Binghamton volleyball team will stretch its winning streak to five games this Friday when it hosts UMBC in a pivotal America East (AE) match.

The Bearcats (12-11, 6-3 AE) have hit a groove as of late, taking 12 of their last 13 sets. In contrast, the Retrievers (14-7, 5-3 AE) have played competitively throughout the season, but are currently riding a two-game losing streak. BU sits in third in the AE while UMBC is in fourth, just a half-game behind the Bearcats.

In their last matchup, UMBC swept the series with a commanding three-set win over BU. BU’s play has improved drastically since then and the home-field advantage certainly works in the Bearcats’ favor.

“Our players are always hyped up at home,” said BU head coach Glenn Kiriyama. “We hope to do everything a little bit better against UMBC this time around.”

Despite BU’s recent success, the loss to the Retrievers earlier this year will be in the back of both teams’ minds heading into this match.

A reason for the Bearcats’ recent success is the chemistry that has developed on the court in the last 10 games. Freshman outside hitter Lauren Kornmann has contributed consistently in her rookie season as a Bearcat.

“[Team chemistry] has gotten a lot better, especially since the beginning of our conference play,” Kiriyama said. “[The team has] upped the intensity level and they’re getting used to each other more and more every week.”

Kornmann has started 20 of her first 23 games played, which is a telltale sign of Kiriyama’s confidence in the rookie. Kornmann didn’t take long to become comfortable on the court, as she is averaging 3.26 sets per kill and nearly four kills per set. She has also performed well under pressure throughout the season, particularly in her 18-kill performance in BU’s upset of New Hampshire.

Kornmann isn’t the only Bearcat having a great year. Junior setter Sarah Ngo continues to be the backbone of BU’s offense, averaging 9.42 assists per set in her 22 matches played. She has demonstrated complete confidence in her front line, including sophomore outside hitter Gaby Alicea and senior middle hitter Bianca Anderson.

Ngo has faced UMBC in all three of her years at BU, with an overall record of 3-2 against the Retrievers. In BU’s loss earlier this year, she tallied 24 assists and eight digs in the losing effort. She also set up the majority of Kornmann’s team-leading eight kills.

“We’ve been keeping balls in play, and keeping [the opposition’s] offense at bay,” Kiriyama said.

BU offense needs to continue its form of late to compete with UMBC’s solid defense. The Retrievers have held opponents to a .174 hitting percentage this season. Their offense has proven equally formidable, as UMBC ranks second in the conference in service aces and kills.

First serve is slotted for 7 p.m. on Friday from the West Gym in Vestal, New York.