After an offseason of serious preparations and high aspirations, the Binghamton University men’s and women’s track and field teams opened their seasons on Saturday at the Cornell Indoor Open.

Senior sprinter Cazal Arnett paced the men’s squad with a victory in the 300-meter race with a time of 34.41. Arnett also anchored the men’s 4×400 relay team that finished in first place with a time of 3:20.37. Arnett enters his senior season as the reigning America East Track Athlete of the Meet from the America East Indoor and Outdoor Championships.

Senior Christian Smith and sophomores Dustin Ross and Casey Gilbert rounded out the men’s relay team. Ross finished in third place in the 300 with a time of 35.24. Junior sprinter Karl Schnabl placed fifth in the 500-meter race with a time of 1:07.09.

Sophomore Adam Helman earned second place in the pole vault event with a height of 16-0 3/4, which is an IC4A-qualifying height. Junior Robb Quiller took fourth place in the event with a height of 15-3. Junior Nelson Hall recorded a height of 6-4 ¼ in the high jump, which was good for fourth place. Senior Jesse Fuca took fourth place in the 60 hurdles with a time of 8.54. Senior Andrew Haupt finished in sixth place in the 60-meter dash with a time of 7.04.

On the women’s side, sophomore sprinter Jessica Hennig set a school record in the 300-meter with a time of 41.25, though she finished in fourth place in the event. Hennig also owned the previous record with a time of 41.38, which she set last season. Junior Kaitlin Sullivan also set a school record with her time of 9.02 in the 60 hurdles, which was good for fourth place in the event. She also previously owned the school record — she recorded a time of 9.04 last season.

The women’s 4×400 relay team consisting of Hennig, Sullivan and freshmen Erika Kisel and Kathleen Klein recorded a time of 4:02.7, which was good for second place. Kisel took third place in the 500-meter with a time of 1:20.65. Sophomore Jenna Marrione recorded an ECAC-qualifying height of 11-9 3/4 in the pole vault. The height earned her third place in the event. Freshman Camille Ginyard finished right behind Marrione in fourth place with a height of 11-3 3/4.

Both the men’s and women’s teams are next scheduled to compete on Saturday, Jan. 22 at the Cornell Upstate Challenge.