Katherine Scott/Pipe Dream Photographer Senior forward Leighann Bennett tallied four shots in Binghamton’s 1-0 loss to UNH.

Heading into its matchup against UNH, the Binghamton women’s soccer team had been held scoreless for three straight games. The Bearcats (4-6-2, 0-2 America East), whose offensive struggles have been a constant theme this season, seemed on the cusp of snapping that streak when they went on a 6-0 shot run against the Wildcats (5-4-2, 2-0 AE) in the second half of Thursday night’s game.

“You could feel it on the sideline,” said BU head coach Neel Bhattacharjee. “You could hear some of the players, ‘It’s coming, it’s coming!’ It’s been awhile since we’ve had a goal.”

Unfortunately for BU, the coveted tally never came, and despite the Bearcats’ 14-11 shot advantage, they were shut out, 1-0.

The lone goal of the match came in the 32nd minute when UNH sophomore midfielder Gaby Dorsey headed a cross from freshman midfielder Liz Lane toward the goal. BU junior goalkeeper Katie Hatziyianis, who is second in the AE with 53 saves, managed to get a touch on the ball, but it got loose, deflected off the crossbar and Hatziyianis’ head before passing the goal line.

“I know she’ll be disappointed with that one,” Bhattacharjee said. “She made a couple of really critical saves for us in the first half, and if you put your goalkeeper in that position, where you get a couple of high-percentage finishing opportunities, that’s a chance you take — that one of them might sneak in and find its way.”

Hatziyianis once again anchored Binghamton’s defense, making four saves. The back line held the conference’s leading goal scorer, junior UNH forward Brooke Murphy, to just four shots on the night.

“We were able to keep that in check for the most part, and big credit goes to [Hatziyianis],” Bhattacharjee said. “I felt like in the second half, we didn’t have to defend as much in the back.”

The BU defense got a break in the second half thanks to the Bearcats’ attack, which came into the period with a newfound intensity. The players that took the field for the second 45 looked nothing like the squad that played in the first half, outshooting the Wildcats, 10-5, in the frame.

“That defensive work really led into our attacking transition, so I was pleased with that in the second half,” Bhattacharjee said. “Now it’s just got to be an opportunity for us to convert.”

Bhattacharjee attributes his attack’s failure to capitalize to its shortcomings at the end of plays.

“We have to be better in terms of finishing quality, getting shots on target and decision making in the final third,” he said.

The Bearcats struck several near-misses in the period, including two shots by senior forward Leighann Bennett that sailed just over the crossbar. Bennett recorded a season-high four shots on the night.

Prior to its recent skid, BU had gotten off to a promising start this season, recording eight goals in as many matches. Lately, though, the Bearcats have shown shades of last year’s team, which tallied just four goals in 13 consecutive winless games.

Although the Bearcats were edged once again, Bhattacharjee hopes to build upon the match’s positive elements moving forward.

“I was much more pleased with the effort, especially with the second half,” he said. “We had to bounce back from a tough match on Sunday night. I felt like we were able to do that. Now it’s got to be about getting the result.”

Binghamton will look to notch its first conference victory when it travels to Stony Brook on Sunday. Kickoff is set for 1 p.m. from Kenneth P. LaValle Stadium in Stony Brook, New York.